Subject: Inclusion of tables in the .odp profile for presentations

Michael,

I am in the accessibility subteam for ODF.

The accessibility subteam has discovered that ODF uses SVG to render tables in presentations for some office implementations of ODF 1.0. This is not an accessible solution.

We would like to propose adding an ODF Table (found in writer) to presentations but it is not available in the profile. We will be converting other file formats to .odp and they will have tables. Is there a reason that .odp cannot inculde an ODF Table? Note: we understand that a spreadsheet can be embedded but this is extremely heavy weight. Are there technical restrictions?

Tables are accessible because the provide structure and semantics. Authors can add headers for rows and columns to orient the user.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.", Frost