Subject: Accessibility SC Minutes from February 23, 2006

OASIS ODF Accessibility SC Meeting MINUTES
Thursday February 23, 2006

Attending:  Dave Pawson, Nathaniel Borenstein, Jerry Barrier, Mike Paciello, Chieko Asakawa, Hironobu Takagi, Tatsuye Ishihara, Steve Noble, Peter Korn, Rich  Schwerdtfeger, Malte Timmerman, Janina Sajka

I.  The minutes of the February 9 meeting were approved.  Dave Pawson was welcomed, and introduced himself.  He then proceeded to take better notes than the chair; these minutes borrow heavily and gratefully from Dave's notes.

II. Deadlines, priorities, and long term plans

Nathaniel reminded everyone that we face a June deadline for specifying things well enough so that developers have a chance of meeting the Massachusetts requirements.  Our first goal is to try to meet those requirements by June.  We want to do much more than that, but that can wait until July.

Mike concurred about the importance of the deadline, but also notes that we don't want this committee to become a slave to Massachusetts.  He's comfortable with the two stage approach.

Rich pointed out that there's also the ISO deadline to worry about.  It would be nice to get our first-pass accessibility modifications into the first ISO pass.

Nathaniel isn't sure that's possible, but took an action item to check.

Rich pointed out that it would be good if action items and interim deadlines should be in the minutes or somewhere easily accessible.  Nathaniel took an action item to fix this.

III  In-person SC meeting:  It was quickly decided to discuss this on the mailing list.

IV. Selection of a document editor

We need a document editor.  This is the person who will "own" the document in the sense of maintaining the authoritative version of that document.  This is not a full time job, but it requires a volunteer who can put some time into it.

Rich pointed out that the list of proposals in the gap analysis from IBM Japan is a good starting point for our deliverable document.

Nathaniel clarified that he believes that the best way to deliver this document is as an "errata" or "diff list" from the ratified version of the standard.  Such a difference document will be needed anyway for reasons related to the interlock of the OASIS and ISO standards process, and it's easier to use such a difference document to modify the primary spec than to rederive the difference document by comparing two thousand-page specs.

V.  Relation of ODF to Daisy

Dave gave us a little bit of Daisy education, and expressed the opinion that there are no short-term ODF problems that will prevent Daisy from working.  This led to a happy discussion about further steps that might leverage these two technologies.

Dave's notes from this discussion:

PK. Any use to embed audio in a source document? Then use an IBM tool as an authoring tool. Could turn OOO into a way of authoring a daisy book?
JS. Could be of use. OOO could be an authoring tool.
PK. Not for near term. Better for longer term discussions. ODF could be a reasonable RFE.
JS. Future could include other formats. Becomes a multimedia authoring tool.
JS. Daisy provides 2 things. 1. SMIL for sync media at any granularity. 2. Smarter way of next, previous, also other granularities.
PK. This suggests would want some knowledge of structure and or style.
RS. Would that be of use? Could perhaps add later, also to practice document.
DP. Lack of support for structure is tentatively low use.

Nathaniel pointed out that people could start working on these ideas today, with an eye to bringing them to the attention of this subcommittee in July or so.

VI.  The table/SVG issue

Dave's notes from this discussion:

RS. Apps render tables using SVG. SVG has no semantics. An accessible table gives access to structure and semantic info. There are cells. How to get that structure into a presentation? Posted request to Michael Brauer Could we use the Writer structure? Then user agent could assist and provide navigation. How to provide kbd access. Tables in SVG could be tricky.

Nathaniel took an action item to talk with Michael Brauer about a timeframe for resolving this issue on TC

VII.  Sequencing into and out of embedded objects

Chieko says that we've done the best we can given the nature of OLE, and that sequencing into and out of embedded ODF objects is not a problem.

Notes from Dave: Dave took an action item to provide a mediaobject proposal by next week.

The next meeting will take place on March 2.

Summary of action items:

Nathaniel:
        1.  Check if ISO schedule will permit June accessibility mods
        2.  Make sure the action items are easy to find.  (Done, you're reading them and they're on SC site in this email.)
        3.  Talk with Michael Brauer about a timeframe for resolving the table/svg issue.

Dave:  Write a mediaobject proposal.