Subject: minutes, 10 March 06

Date: 2006-03-09T15:16:55.0Z
Date: 2006-03-09T15:17:03.0Z

  • Janina Sajka
  • Pete Bournet
  • Rich Schwerdtfeger
  • Malte Timmerman

Apologies

  • Mike Paciello
Scribe(s): Dave Pawson

Agenda

Item. Attendance, Introductions and Welcome David Clark

Item. Approval of Minutes of Previous (2/23) Meeting

Item. III. Old business: --Selection of document editor -- CSUN meeting details (Peter) -- Short and long alt texts (Chieko) -- Table/SVG in presentation, status check -- MIME type issue from Nathaniel -- Audio, images, graphics, mediaobject issue from Dave

Item. IV. New business: -- Use case list from Matt/Rich -- Soft/hard page break issue from Dave -- Nested list markup issue from Dave

Item. V. Agenda/Topics for Next Meeting

1  Attendance, Introductions Welcome David Clark

DISCUSSION: NB Welcomed DC

  • PK OK to help translate.

2  Approval of Minutes of Previous (2/23) Meeting

DISCUSSION: Accepted.

  • No amendments

3  Old business: Selection of document editor

DISCUSSION: NB. Will keep at this till we find one!

  • DP. I'm OK to work with MP on this, provided we can work in XML

4  CSUN meeting details (Peter)

DISCUSSION: PK. Schedules said Friday pm (24th). Is that OK for Face to face?

  • JS. I'm OK for that. Is 5pm OK? About an hour.
  • PK. Agreed. Will figure out a venue. On Thurs, we have 2 hour ODF panel. I would like to present a summary of our work. If DP has ODF to daisy, would love to talk about it. Ideal would be, a prepared document and call out to audience. Email list for conference. Will subscribe DP
  • JS. Could use TTS to generate audio?
  • NB. Talk about it on email.
  • JS. Would like to arrange telcon to plan for the panel.
  • RS. I'm OK to support that.

5  Short and long alt texts (Chieko)

DISCUSSION: CA. Sent proposal to list. Simple addition. SVG has title and svg:desc for long description. ODF just has svg:desc. Could consider it as an errata.

DISCUSSION: NB. If you look on WAI Protocols and formats (PF), it supports this use.

  • DP. I'd prefer structured long descriptions. We have captions, which are usable as svg title equivalent. With all 3 there could be confusion
  • RS. Do we have captions on all formats?
  • DP. Believe No. Post meeting correction, SVG lines and objects do have captions, though on individual items, not groups of lines.
  • PK. Do we add it to SVG drawings?
  • JS. I think PF will focus on SVG in around a year. We need to do something. A short term solution is needed.
  • PK. I Don't like the SVG dependency. Only pulling in parts of SVG. We'd have to tell the application what to render.
  • NB. Follow this up on the list?
  • PK. Tough to do on the phone. May suggest phonecall to discuss further.

Action item: Send recent mails from list to DC and JS, MP

Who? NB, RS

Due date: ASAP

Action item: Draw up errata document format

Who? NB

Due date: Two weeks.

6  Table/SVG in presentation, status check

DISCUSSION: NB. Any resolution

  • PB. We asked for a table construct in presentations. Suggest until they have a solution, we don't allow tables in presentations.
  • RS. That's severe.
  • NB. Hope it doesn't come to that.
  • PK. Sabre rattling may get some attention.
  • PK. When importing a table into a presentation, it comes in as bunch of SVG with no table structure, or as an OLE object, e.g. from Microsoft presentation. Neither are poor for accessibility. We have an outline proposal for how to deal with this. No positive reactions yet.
  • RS. Sent a note to Yue Ma, hoping for resolution. No response as yet

Action item: Query status with Yue Ma

Who? NB

Due date: Next week

7  MIME type issue

DISCUSSION: What mime types are to be used for ODF entities?

  • PK. Is that an accessibility issue?
  • DP. It is an issue for onward processing, post ODF. It is technically wrong?
  • PK. There is an issue for Mac usage.
  • NB. Only editorial suggestion perhaps?

8  Audio, images, graphics, mediaobject issue(DP)

DISCUSSION: NB. Encourage people to comment on proposal, send to list.

  • PK. Could DP send to JS, DC. Also Please send fax number for joining Oasis to DC.
  • DC. Hasn't got PDF form.
  • PK. Corporate members don't need to do this.
  • JS. I was bogged down with other issues. Will forward PDF form to DC

9  New business: IRC

DISCUSSION: NB. Could we use IRC?

  • DC Agree.
  • JS. DC - you OK with IRC?
  • DP. OK with irc.
  • PK. Will also send comments.
  • JS. Very accessible. Great support. Adds minutes. Mozilla extension chatzilla works. W3C has extras to help with meetings.

Action item: Find IRC channel, recommend software.

Who? JS

Due date: Next week.

10  Use case list from Matt/Rich

DISCUSSION: Section 3.3, Matt wanted slide to slide navigation. Even when presentation stuck on one slide. I.e. look forwards and back with Access Technology.

  • PK. Does markup delineate what is on which slide. Is numbering correct?
  • MT. Yes. Unknown.
  • RS. This goes beyond what I can do today.
  • RS. Wants access to semantic information. Any ability to access headings, footnotes etc.
  • DP. Guess no if it is like most SVG.
  • RS. Do we define standard roles?
  • PK. Are we talking about text paragraphs?
  • MT. Can be text content.
  • RS. If editing template, should we have predefined roles for those?
  • PK. How do we know which template is in use? What roles are associated with the template slide? I'd guess there is nothing in template slide to say it is header ish.
  • MT. Different usage.
  • RS. We'll have to have predefined roles for predefined content. Need to enumerate common ones. Don't want to use style names.
  • PK. We have some information, e.g. template text and content text. You want a way to give all manner of things roles. Also connectors, e.g. between two rectangles.
  • PK. Makes sense to define roles, then tech dev committee to make associations if used in a particular way. Again what is format, what is UA job. Also guidelines for user agent.
  • NB. We don't need this (guidelines )for June.
  • PK. This is part of the longer term process. Need to establish accessability arm of acceptance committee. Have talked to Sun about this.
  • PK. No strong opinion on this. Do we need to be at each 2 weekly meeting? Makes More sense to have accessibility on 'ad hoc' basis.
  • DP. Would WAI method work?
  • PK. Not all items needed accessibility checks, e.g. marketing. User Agents need to do something here, we should feed this to adoption committee. Suggest that our output annotate items needing UA attention beyond the bare spec. That then becomes input to adoption committee.
  • NB. Should this be a separate document?
  • PK Yes, need to talk about things outside of spec.
  • NB. What would be normative?
  • PK. Not needed to be normative, only needed for UA.
  • NB. Pleased with meeting output. Put off remainder for next week.

11  Soft/hard page break issue from Dave

DISCUSSION: Deferred.

  • -

12  Nested list markup issue from Dave

DISCUSSION: Deferred

  • -

Summary of Actions

NB, RS

Action item: Send recent mails from list to DC and JS, MP

Due date: ASAP

NB

Action item: Draw up errata document format

Due date: Two weeks.

NB

Action item: Query status with Yue Ma

Due date: Next week