Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] proposal

On 16/03/06, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> While we are on Chieko's proposal, the defaullt accessibleName for drawing objects should be the actual name ODF assigns should the author forget. <svg:title> would override this. <svg:description> is if course the longdesc.
They are semantically identical if semantics are taken from the svg world Rich.
We gain no benefit from two such similar elements.
A longdesc without structure is IMHO of little added value.
The Caption element does more in terms of svg:title.

> I am following up on Matt King's use cases and investigating having either a draw:connectedBy attribute (we could also use the name draw:flowsTo per ATK. The problem is that if you are on an object you what to know what associated connectors you have. Currently, you get the glue information from the connector itself. Logically, I would believe we would want to know what object we were on and then assess the list of connectors glued to it and follow a path. I have a person in my team looking at model-based authoring tools for accessibility and I will discuss this with him.

I'm assuming the subject has changed, and we are talking about SVG
vector graphics.
Connectors seem almost impossible to utilise via a machine.
A group element, as per SVG would help, then use svg:desc and svg:title (or
caption for the group) enabling a textual description of the group of lines.

Take the tiger on the SVG website. What value would connectors add there?
Thousands of lines, hundreds of connectors. Too much work for too
little reward IMHO

regards

--
Dave Pawson