Subject: discussion for draw:name

We checked the ODF schema and spec to ensure the coverage of draw:name to
use it as an alternative text.
We want to discuss the following items in today's call.

1. shapes without draw:name attributes

1.1. image-map elements

draw:area-rectangle
draw:area-circle
draw:area-polygon

We could not find appropriate attributes for short descriptions.
svg:desc exists, but it corresponds to long descriptions.

1.2 draw:text-box

svg:desc exists, so we can consider "text information in a text-box" as a
short description.
This is an adoption topic.

1.3. 3D shapes

dr3d:scene
dr3d:extrude
dr3d:sphere
dr3d:rotate
dr3d:cube

They do not have svg:desc, either.
It is recommended to add both draw:name and svg:desc.

2. inappropriately defined draw:names

We need to clarify a draw:name to be used as an alternative text or not, as
indicated below.

2.1. names for pointing  positions in polygon objects

draw:name for draw:equation is used as a variable in a equation for
pointing a position in a custom shape.
This draw:name should not be treated as a alternative text.

2.2. draw:names for styles

draw:gradient
svg:linearGradient
svg:radialGradient
draw:hatch
draw:fill-image
draw:marker
draw:stroke-dash

draw:name for these elements is used to label styles, and these names are
referred by other style definitions.
This draw:name should not be treated as a alternative text.

2.3. names for page elements

draw:page

draw:name for draw:page must be unique in the ODF specification.
This may limit the usage as an alternative text.

2.4. names for invisible objects

draw:layer
draw:param

These elements are not visible to users, so these draw:names should not be
treated as alternative texts.

Best Regards,
Chieko

---------
Chieko Asakawa, Ph.D.
Accessibility Research
Tokyo Research Laboratory, IBM Research
E-mail: chie@jp.ibm.com
Tel: +81-46(215)4633     Fax: +81-46(274)4282

             "Dave Pawson"
             <dave.pawson@gmai
             l.com>                                                     To
                                       office-accessibility@lists.oasis-op
             2006/04/13 15:50          en.org
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [office-accessibility] Likely
                                       missing our meeting tomorrow

On 13/04/06, Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@sun.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I fear I'll likely need to miss the meeting tomorrow.  Please don't
> assign me too many action items!

Oh ho! Save them up for Peter!!!

I'm out all day, away from the office. I'll hopefully
be back in time for the telcon.

Apologies if I'm a little late.

regards

--