Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] ODF TC accessibility summary from meetingearlier today

Hi Bruce,

This is the way we believed that it should have worked in the first place and that is to follow the proper XML usage (as we did in XHTML 2) and to have a caption element be a child of the drawing. We did not believe that it was in the cards to change things to this degree due to legacy issues so we suggested the use of describedBy.

Now, I don't believe you can make it a child of just the <draw:image> as you will want to caption the entire drawing which could include groupings, lines, etc.

<text:p>
   <draw:frame>  <!-- outer frame -->
     <draw:text-box>
       <draw:frame>
         <draw:image>
           <office:binary-data>picture data
here....</office:binary-data>

         </draw:image>

          <text:caption>Caption Text</text:caption>
       </draw:frame>
     </draw:text-box>
   </draw:frame>
</text:p>

Some other issues:

The proposal you refer to is to correct this in ODF 1.2. All accessibility changes need to be addressed in ODF 1.1.
The Workplace team discovered one hole in describedBy in that the ID it refers to is in a text:p. However, an oversight by our group is that text-box can take multiple text:p's requiring that the ID value for describedBy be on the <draw:text-box> element should the TC decide to go with describeBy.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441
Inactive hide details for "Bruce D'Arcus" <bruce.darcus@OpenDocument.us>"Bruce D'Arcus" <bruce.darcus@OpenDocument.us>

          "Bruce D'Arcus" <bruce.darcus@OpenDocument.us>

          06/13/2006 04:35 PM

Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

cc

office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org, Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM>, Lars Oppermann <Lars.Oppermann@Sun.COM>

Subject

Re: [office-accessibility] ODF TC accessibility summary from meeting earlier today

On Jun 13, 2006, at 1:53 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

>  Bruce,
>
>  Could you be more explicit as to what you mean for "how to implement
> caption support." Captions are already provided for in the 1.0
> specifications. Are you asking from an accessibility API mapping in
> the office product, or are you talking about captions in general?
> Essentially, we need to know what document element the caption is
> applicable to. Today that is not clear in the markup.

Correct; I am talking about how to fix the XML. See thread starting
here:

<
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200606/msg00018.html>

Bruce