Subject: RE: [office-accessibility] Altruism or...

Touche without the accent ;-)

I just found it a little ironic that MS came up with all the money
specifically for the State of Mass in light of this years ODF
decision....Might be worth contacting Myra to see if she can influence some
of the curriculm to include accessibility for young developers...

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter.Korn@Sun.COM [mailto:Peter.Korn@Sun.COM]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:44 PM
To: mpaciello@paciellogroup.com
Cc: office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Mike,
> Now...if ODF could come up with $50 million..

Oh, you mean like:
http://www.betanews.com/article/Sun_Donates_StarOffice_to_NonProfits/1118687
222
and http://desktoplinux.com/news/NS8090756097.html and
http://www.giftsinkind.org/news/releases/news_2005_p2pnet_june13.asp and
http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2004-05/sunflash.20040506.1.xml
and
http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2002-08/sunflash.20020828.1.xml
and http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2002-09/sunflash.20020917.1.xml ??

I think with the last one we value the donation at $6 billion...

Peter

> MASSACHUSETTS SCHOOLS TO RECEIVE GRANT FROM MICROSOFT Microsoft has
> announced a donation of as much as $30 million in software to high
> school and college students in Massachusetts. The software package
> will include software-writing and Web-development tools and is valued
> at about $800 per high school student and $2,400 per college student.
> The software will be offered to all public high schools and colleges
> in the state; the total amount of the donation will depend on how many
> of the state's students participate in the program. Massachusetts has
> about 300,000 high school and 125,000 college students. Nate
> Mackinnon, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Department of Education,
> said the donation could help minimize a growing gap in science between
> U.S. and international students by seeding an interest in technology in
high school and being able to foster those skills in college.