Subject: Re: [office] Soft Page Break Propsosal

I'm happy with this other than the heavy emphasis on optionality.

Minor comments in line.

regards DaveP

On 17/06/06, Lars Oppermann <Lars.Oppermann@sun.com> wrote:
> Dear TC,
>
> The following proposal for soft page breaks take the following
> circumstances into account:
>
> This proposal addresses the requirement of the Accessibility SC to
> include a mechanism for applications to store page-break information in
> ODF files; AKA soft page-break.

It offers no rationale for implementers to use it Lars.
The rationale is for ODF to be used as a basis for audio based
documents and will facilitate page based navigation with equality.

> Overview:
> - soft page breaks are optional
I'd like to see this as required in all text based documents.
That would address equality more clearly. I.e. requireded, but  in text based
documents only.

> Proposal:

> The use of the <text:soft-page-break> elements is always optional. An
> application generating the format *may* include the
> element if it has computed a paginated layout.

Is it appropriate to mention that such soft page breaks will only
be valid until a text document is amended by additions or deletions
hence is most readily applicable when writing to permanent storage?

> A consuming application *may* handle the element while computing the
> layout, but it *shall not* depend on its existence.
> Soft page breaks are only supported within text documents.

Having stated that it  is optional, I'm curious why there is this heavy
emphasis on the optionality throughout this proposal Lars.
You make it sound almost deprecated? If the basis is that of a page based
text document, then that conditionality is applicable surely?

> For <text:soft-page-break> elements that appear within table rows, the
> maximum number of <text:soft-page-break> elements that appear within the
> single table cells determines the number of page breaks that appear
> within the table row. The <text:soft-page-break> elements contained in
> each cell determine the positions where these page breaks appear within
> the cell content.

Two points.
1. This proposal does not infer that the application only should insert these,
2. That they should represent page level intervals in the paginated document.
The latter would make this para redundant.

> Similarly, <text:soft-page-break> elements that appear within text
> boxes and other content displayed outside the text flow, do not start a
> new page, but only indicate where the text-box's content breaks between
> two pages.

Question more than a critque. Is this making it harder than necessary?
If out of flow content could not take this element the flow would be
eased surely?
E.g. a text box would be placed after the applied soft page break if the page
break were output prior to non prime flow entities.

> Add to section 5.1.1 White-space Characters
>
> Soft Page Breaks
>
> The <text:soft-page-break> element represents a soft page break within a
> heading or paragraph.
From the schema this is inaccurate? It can appear in more syntactic locations
than this.

--