Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Update on Mass & ODF

Hi Mike,

Just an update:  we've completed the testing of the 150 critical documents Massachusetts provided us with, and the ODF Plug-in installers have been delivered to both Massachusetts ITD and IBM.  Now the fun stuff begins, the real world production testing.  We're extremely confident, but the proof is in the pudding.

The new accessibility extensions and interoperability extensions (ODF Metadata SC) are mounted in the ODF Engine that powers the plug-in.

We've also completed our presentations at the EU OpenForum in Brussels.  July 4th was a public presentation.  July 5th was a private session with the IDABC "Experts Group".  Incredibly no one believed we had actually done what we claim.  Anyway, that was before we knocked it out of the park.

The first "post" OpenForum news story is now out:

Belgian government chooses OpenDocument

Wednesday July 05, 2006 (05:00 PM GMT)
By: Koen Vervloesem

Check out the quotes from Microsoft.  Somehow they were the only vendor allowed into the July 5th private IDABC session ( a full day event).  At the end of the day, following our presentation and the lengthy discussion that followed, Microsoft requested we leave the room so they could have a private session with IDABC.

We have no idea what went down, but there are indications Microsoft has re accessed their intransigent stance on ODF.  One things for sure, the ODF Plug-in has truly emboldened IDABC.  I think the entire EU now goes forward with their requirement that ODF become the default universal file format moving forward.  We shall see :)

Thanks for respecting Louis' position regarding accessibility.  One has to really admire his determination to conduct a proper and fair hearing of all the RFi respondents.  In the middle of a political storm no less.  A storm he could douse in a heartbeat with a something so simple as a demonstration of the different plug-in's working faultlessly with accessibility applications.

~ge~