Subject: Minutes: August 31, 2006 Meeting

Attendees:

Steve Noble
Chieko Asakawa
Malte Timmerman
Rich Schwerdtfeger
Peter Korn
Janina Sajka
David Clark
Tatsuya
Hiro Tagaki
Pete Brunet

Meeting Minutes from previous week were unanimously approved

Peter: First Drafts of sections are due September 7
Peter: We started reviewing the charts that Chieko had provided last week
Chieko: I will just ask some questions for this week
Chieko: I want to gather more charts to proceed although I have provided some example charts.
Chieko: I would like example charts from people.
Peter: I have slides from public JavaOne conferences that we can share. Someone would need to troll through them to find the interesting ones
Chieko: We will check the website if you provide the URL
Peter: The URL is: http://developers.sun.com/learning/javaoneonline/
Peter: One of the kinds of diagrams I did not see was the arrow diagram where you have a line moving along a 2 dimensional line with points along the line (history, time lines, etc.)
Janina: Do we have PERT and GANTT charts in there?
Peter: This does not appear in Chieko's slides
David: Do applications like Star Office come with libraries of simple presentations to make sure we are covering all the bases?
Peter: I don't recall this. I recall a library of presentation templates.
Rich: Can I give you my ICCHP charts? These are architectural in nature.
Rich: This was inititated at FSG. Is this to address the effort there or here?
Peter: Here. It did not gain traction at FSG.
Rich: I will send my charts to Chieko
Peter: I may be able to get ODF version of some of our documents that are interesting
Hiro: I would like to get ODF presentation files
Peter: Hiro and Pete Brunet have done a first draft of the subtable issue
Rich: I will post today
Janina: I raised the alt text discussion for background images at the WAI PF call
Janina: The group thought we needed at least an alt text event though WCAG generally discourages the use of background images
Janina: The PF group thought this group was the place for this to happen
Janina: Some background images like "draft" have semantic meaning
Janina: The information should be in a machine readable format. There was concern that any information not be used to badger the user
Janina: Office applications need to be able to remove the background images
Rich: The alt text should be at page boundaries. This is a raising the bar issue.
Janina: Information should be placed at the top or bottom of the page.
Peter: Should we do this or should PF
Rich: Us
Peter: We need this to be an action item
Rich: Do we all agree this is a 1.2 item?
David: Absolutely
Peter: Agree
ACTION: Janina pursue further investigation of alt text on background images
Peter: Have our organizations give ODF testimonials
Peter: We do not need IBM and Sun because of their extensive involvement
Rich: What about Jerry Barrier?
Peter: Good idea.
Janina: What about Curtis Chong?
ACTION: Janina contact AFB and APH and Brian Charlson (Mass.)
Janina: APH is an "icon" partner with Marc Mulcahey
Peter: He is not going to be ready and he is no longer president
Janina: They are doing Orca testing at the Carol Center
Peter: Any other items?
Peter: Chieko and Hiro. We have addressed your issues for today?
Hiro: We need to categorize.
Peter: I gavel this to a close.

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer