Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] "Document Processing for Accessibility"workshop in Paris, 30Jan07 & EUAIN project

Dave,

I have been at their workshop in January last year - seems Peter forgot
about that ;)

Not to interesting, IMHO, at least not for me.
Maybe more interesting for people like Peter, who work (full time) in
much more areas of Accessibility than I do.

It was more a status update from W3C WCAG and other groups.
Some publisher talked about how easy they can print any book in large
print, now that they have the source text in format xy (forgot what it
was). It was about the process "Print on demand", so shops don't need to
buy big amount of large print books, but can order one single book,
which is printed on demand, with only a small cost overhead.

I did meet Benoit Guillon, who wanted to start working on DAISY with
OOo, maybe interesting for Dave:

Benoit Guillon wrote, On 02/24/06 10:33:
> Hello Malte,
>
> My first name is Benoit ;-) I imagine it is not a common name in Germany.
> It is the French translation of the current pope's name.
> Yes, I would like to use OpenOffice as a dtbook editor. dtbook is part of
> the Daisy 3 norm, it is an XML DTD not far from XHTML with some
> interesting improvments for accessibility. We use this DTD as a kind of
> central format for the books of our digital library. For the moment we
> edit them with MS Word and transform them to XML with UpCast (a product of
> infinity-loop.de).
> I really think that OpenOffice would be more convenient for us. I already
> have a first draft of XSL stylesheets to transform ODT documents to
> dtbook. And a document template with specific styles (characters,
> paragraphs and frames). The next step is to develop Basic macros to guide
> users in producing accessible documents. As I told you before, the
> OpenOffice API is nice but the development interface is a bit minimalist
> so it is a bit defficult to start.
> Regards
>
> Benoit.

Malte.