Subject: Re: Jaws accessibility of open office authored document.

On 22/01/07, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Scenario.
> I write a document in Open office Writer. (Shows as 2.1) on Windows 2k.
>
> I save as MS office and send to a blind colleague who uses Jaws.
>
> The response I get, after export as html is:
>
> quote. I can read it now thanks.  The word version seems to jump
> around the pages and wraps from page 1 to 6 etc.  Steve replicated
> this when I showed him, so not sure if it's something in how you're
> creating the file. end quote.

Managed to narrow it down a little.
Its the auto generated table of contents.
In Word 2003 it's fine.
In Word 2000 it's fine.
In Word 1997 it shows as a sequence of codes. Jaws can't get access to it.
Since the toc is set to display on its own page, the reader can interpret
it as if content has been skipped.
Either way, it's confusing and inaccessible in those conditions.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.