Subject: OASIS ODF a11y SC meeting Thursday,2Aug07 8am PT / 11am ET / 3pm GMT / 5pm CET / 12 midnight Japan

Greetings,

It has been a few weeks since we last met.  Florian Reuter of the main
ODF TC asked us a question (attached), and also shared with us some
thoughts about subtables (see attached e-mails).  I'd like to use our
meeting time to discuss the question & topic he raised.

I had hoped to have toll-free numbers to use in each of the countries we
live in by now, but I not (yet) have them.  If I manage to assemble a
set prior to Thursday, I'll send out details of them to supersede the
U.S. based numbers below.

Connection info:

Thursday, 2Aug07 8am PT / 11am ET /  3pm GMT / 5pm CET / 12 midnight Japan
1-866-839-8145 (US toll free)
1-865-524-6352 (Intl)
code: 6560654#

IRC: http://irc.oasis-open.org
channel: "&office-accessibility"

Suggested agenda:

1) Approve minutes for last ODF Accessibility SC Meeting - assuming I
manage to find them (Mike - did you take these?)

2) Last call for comments on Subcommittee Draft #2 of the Accessibility
Guidelines document (see
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24778/ODF_Accessibility_Guidelines_scd2_25July2007.odt)
and use display of change notification to see what changes I made.

3) Discussion of issues Florian has raised
--- Begin Message ---
Dear SC,

I was just wondering whether the "style:next-style-name" attribute of a "style:master-page" migth also be an accessibility issue.
The general idea of this concept is that a master page style also defines the next master page style used during the layout process.

So you can a build chain of page styles like:
PageStyle0 -> PageStyle1 -> PageStyle2 -> PageStyle1 -> PageStyle2 -> PageStyle1 -> ...
by using the following declarations:
PageStyle0.next-style-name = PageStyle1
PageStyle1.next-style-name = PageStyle2
PageStyle2.next-style-name = PageStyle1
or even more complex.

So whenever an implicit or explicit page break appears the next page style in the chain is chosed. This means that the page style (including headers, footers, etc.) are changed by an implcicit or explicit page break as a side-effect.  I'm wondering whether this "side-effect" of a page break might be an issue wrt. accessibility?

FYI Word does not use the concept of next-page-style and side-effects. Instead Word has three page styles per section: FirstPage, LeftPage and RightPage. So its very clear what the purpose of the page style is.

Best regards,

~Florian

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Dear SC,

I've seen arguments that Sudoku is a good use-case for the special "isSubTable" attribute. I don't think Sudoku is a good example. Let me explain why:

Consider for example you have a complete Sudoku board where the initial numbers are printed in bold. When using subtables the lines of the Sudoku board not will be aligned since bold letters have a different height than normal letters (This gets even worse when using different fonts or different font heights). The only way you can achieve this alignment is using colSpans and rowSpans.

Additionally interop with HTML ans WW is not possible.

Just my two cents. Best regards,

~Florian
--- End Message ---