Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] OO XML a11y

Hi Pete,

I've seen it, yes.  A number of the issues the ATRC cites are expansions
of issues Microsoft's own OOXML accessibility review cited as well; I
assume those facts are likely correct.  Beyond that, ATRC is one of the
most knowledgeable independent accessibility research organizations on
the planet, so I am inclined to believe that when they cite an issue it
is real.  But, not being an OOXML expert (nor having read the ~6,000
page OOXML specification), I can't say whether an issue found from
reading one section of the spec. isn't adequately addressed by some
other section (e.g. a section on pagination makes no mention of encoding
page information that is important to DAISY conversion, but some other
section several hundred pages away notes a way to encode page data).

In the overview to the white paper, the authors state: "It should be
noted at the outset that this paper is not meant to serve as a
substitute for a thorough accessibility review undertaken by a diverse
team of disability experts, with inclusion and active participation of
persons with disabilities. Rather, with this cursory glance we hope to
demonstrate the urgent need for such a review."

I'm not aware of any thorough comparison of OOXML and ODF.  Going
through the ~6,000 page spec., and comparing it to not only the ~600
page ODF spec. but also the specs. for MathML and XForms and the other
W3C standards that ODF references (but OOXML does not) is a *monumental*
task.  And absent such a comparison, no accessibility comparison would
be complete.  Certainly we could compare the known (or suspected) OOXML
accessibility issues against the reviews we did (see IBM Tokyo's initial
comparison of ODF v1.0 with MS-Office's .doc/.xls/.ppt on accessibility
issues).  But I don't know that the result would be authoritative.

We should also think carefully about how much time we want to devote to
such work.  Our charter is ODF and accessibility improvements to ODF;
not to make statements about whether we are better/worse than OOXML on
accessibility.  It is certainly useful to double-check our own work in
light of issues ATRC found in another office document format - to verify
that we didn't miss anything and address anything that we discover we
did miss.  But I question whether we should do much more than that.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.