Subject: ODF AccSC Agenda Item 4 - disjoint headers and IA2

Here's my input for agenda item 4.

----- Forwarded by Pete Brunet/Austin/IBM on 08/23/2007 09:07 AM -----
Pete Brunet/Austin/IBM

08/10/2007 09:15 AM

Peter.Korn@Sun.COM
cc
Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Hironobu Takagi/Japan/IBM@IBMJP
Subject
ODF AccSC Action Item - disjoint headers and IA2

Peter, IAccessible2 in its current form is unable to provide access to multiple disjoint row & column headers (Hiro's slides #8 & #13).

IA2's methods:
HRESULT         columnHeader ([out] IAccessibleTable **accessibleTable,[out, retval] long *startingRowIndex)
HRESULT         rowHeader ([out] IAccessibleTable **accessibleTable,[out, retval] long *startingColumnIndex)

However, from a practical perspective, Notes 8 doesn't have this function and I don't think OpenOffice does either.

IA2 is like UAAPI which returns a table while AT-SPI differs from those two by taking in a col/row index and returning an accessible.  None of the three API sets allows for the return of disjoint headers.

The problem could probably be dealt with by using tables within tables, e.g. a 5x5 in the lower right quadrant of a 10x10, but Notes 8 and OpenOffice can't create these so we'd need to experiment with hand generated markup.  If such a table could be created, then if the AT's focal point was on a cell in the nested table it could ask for the header of the inner table and then ask for the header of the outer table.  There are all sorts of complications like: how does the AT know that it's in a nested table and there is math needed to access the correct column of the header in the outer table, and such research would be too time consuming for me to work on at least over the next few months.

Pete Brunet

IBM Accessibility Architecture and Development
11501 Burnet Road, MS 9022E004, Austin, TX 78758
Voice: (512) 838-4594, TL 678-4594, Fax: (512) 838-9666
Ionosphere: WS4G

Multiple Levels of Table Headers v3.odp