Subject: [Fwd: thanks for the link and the kind words]

FYI - e-mail from David Berlind.  I'm attempting to be on vacation (and
in any case have lousy e-mail connectivity where I am).

Doug/Terri - perhaps one of you might ping David on this topic?

Peter
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Rob:

(sutor, korn cc:ed)

Saw your blog yesterday. Thanks for the link.

I'm getting some interesting conflicting statements (re: my blog on ODF
v ODf) from Sam and Gary that I think are worthy of reconciliation. They
are claiming that ODF is done: in other words, toast as of the day that
Louis Gutierrez resigned in MA. I have argued in the past that for ODF
to succeed, two things must happen (1) someone must publish an SDK that
takes all the pain out of supporting it and (2) commercially
supported/backed converters must be available.

Sam/Gary argue (1) that the converters, including Sun's, have failed to
the point that customers can't adopt (citing tests done in MA) and (2)
that this is not surprising given how some of the differences between
ODF and OOXML are technologically irreconcilable.

Sam/Gary are also calling "BS" on Updegrove's quotes of Chris Lilly
saying some context is missing. To quote them:

"Right about now Andy's bloated corpse may be floating down the Charles
and Chris is doing his best to shade for his W3C colleagues his
180-degree incorrect statements."

What is reality here? What hope does ODF have and why?

David Berlind
Executive Editor
ZDNet
david.berlind@cnet.com

"You can't change the truth; just the list of people who know it."  -db
--- End Message ---