Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] NY document format study -- Request forPublic Comment

Hi Rob,

I'm not seeing that question in the PDF.  I see a bunch of questions
relating to accessibility (section "M", questions 39-43).

It is a valid concern - whether existing AT solutions will work with ODF
- but it is a concern that has been I believe adequately addressed with
both IBM's work in IAccessible2 and support of that via JAWS and
WindowEyes (and "coming soon" support in OOo), and perhaps more
importantly via the Sun ODF Plugin to MS-Office which means that *all*
AT that supports MS office (and thus .doc/.xls/.ppt/.docx/...) will
equally well support ODF.  Recall that users of MS-Office 2003 will use
something very much akin to the Sun plugin for reading .docx files - and
that is how the majority of AT users will use .docx.  Many users will
find Office 2007 unfamiliar and uncomfortable, and moving to it will
require an upgrade in their AT (esp. if it is also an upgrade to Vista).

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.