Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] RE: ODF Accessibility Guidelines

We just had our TC meeting.  Michael will be requesting a ballot for approving the Guidelines a Committee Specification.  Once that ballot ends, and if approved, we would request a new version of the Guidelines, in the three formats, with the title page updated to reflect its status as a  "Committee Specification".  We would then post that updated version.

The Guidelines are already linked to from the ODF TC website:  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office

That would still occur when approved as a Committee Specification, though there we would acknowledge its status.

We can also post a blurb about it on http://opendocument,xml.org

It would not appear on this page, since this lists only OASIS Standards, which would require an OASIS membership vote;  http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/index.php

However, I would recommend including the Accessibility Guidelines (with any updates needed) with ODF 1.2.  In that form, as part of ODF 1.2, we would submit it for approval as an OASIS Standard, as well as send it to JTC1 for approval as an ISO standard.

Does this make sense?

-Rob
___________________________

Rob Weir
Software Architect
IBM Software Group

email: robert_weir@us.ibm.com
phone: 1-978-399-7122
blog:
http://www.robweir.com/blog/

Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>

01/21/2008 10:04 AM

<mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
cc
Mary McRae <marypmcrae@gmail.com>, Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM, office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org, Peter.Korn@Sun.COM, Robert Weir <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>
Subject
[office-accessibility] RE: ODF Accessibility Guidelines

Hi Mary,

Wonderful. I was not aware that conversions were performed.

Robert, will the TC post these to the public web site or do you need to vote to post it first?

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer
Inactive hide details for "Mary McRae" <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>"Mary McRae" <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>

"Mary McRae" <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
Sent by: Mary McRae <marypmcrae@gmail.com>

01/20/2008 05:22 PM
Please respond to
<mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>

Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Robert Weir/Cambridge/IBM@Lotus

cc

<Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM>, <office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org>, <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM>

Subject

RE: ODF Accessibility Guidelines

Hi Rich,

  The guidelines *are* in those formats; otherwise the public review would not have been announced. See here:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/office-accessibility/v1.0/cd01/

Regards,

Mary

We do not have the guidelines in those formats. We will need to produce them.

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer
Inactive hide details for Robert Weir/Cambridge/IBM@LOTUSRobert Weir/Cambridge/IBM@LOTUS

Robert Weir/Cambridge/IBM@LOTUS

01/18/2008 04:31 PM

Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Mary McRae <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
cc

Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM, office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org, Peter.Korn@sun.com
Subject

Re: ODF Accessibility Guidelines
Richard Schwerdtfeger

Hi Rich,

This is good news. Congratulations to the subcommittee for reaching this milestone.

The TC policy says the following: "All TC-approved versions of documents (i.e. Committee Drafts, Public Review Drafts, and Committee Specifications) must be delivered to the TC’s document repository in the (1) editable source, (2) HTML or XHTML, and (3) PDF formats."

Do you have copies of this candidate in these other formats as well?

There has been some talk, but no formal plan, around having an informative "Guide for Implementors", of which the Accessibility Guidelines might feature. Other parts might be a Metadata Guidelines, Spreadsheet Test Cases, etc. In fact, we were just talking about this on the Metadata Subcommittee call earlier this week, where it was suggested that we follow the same template as the Accessibility Guidelines in order to make it easier to combine later.

ODF 1.2 schedule -- we're thinking Q2 for public review & vote as OASIS Standard, followed by submission to JTC1. But note that the Guide for Implementors can be done as a Committee Specification at any time, and we probably won't submit that to JTC1.

-Rob

Inactive hide details for Richard Schwerdtfeger---01/18/2008 03:30:45 PM---Rob, Michael,Richard Schwerdtfeger---01/18/2008 03:30:45 PM---Rob, Michael,

Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

01/18/2008 03:29 PM

Robert Weir/Cambridge/IBM@Lotus, Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM
cc

Peter.Korn@sun.com, office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject

ODF Accessibility Guidelines

Rob, Michael,

The ODF Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 (
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/download.php/25664/ODF_Accessibility_Guidelines_v1.0-candidate.odt) completed its public review on December 21 and no comments were received. The group has voted that these guidelines be posted to the public OASIS web site for ODF. If this requires Committee Specifcation Status we would ask that the ODF TC vote on this.

What is the process moving forward so that we can get the guidelines public on the OASIS site?

We are going to begin on a revised version of the guidelines targeted at ODF 1.2. Although the guidelines are non-normative Peter thought there would be a bundling of the guidelines with a collection of documents related to ODF 1.2. Is this true? We will need to know the timeline for 1.2. Looking at the ODF TC internal site we have not seen a revision to the ODF 1.2 specification since September so perhaps this has been pushed out. What is the timeline for ODF 1.2?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

pic09642.gif