Subject: OASIS ODF a11y SC meeting, tomorrow, Thursday 14Feb08,8am PT / 10am CST/ 11am ET / 4pm GMT / 5pm CET

Greetings,

As noted at our last meeting on January 17th, we are allocating an
extended 90 minutes to our meeting this week to accommodate our special
guest Marc Mulcahy (Marc - did Janina manage to invite you like she was
supposed to?).

Connection info:

USA 877-421-0030; 770-615-1247
Austria +43 179576264
Belgium 0800-7-3026; +32 22006114
Denmark 80-888377; +45 38323070
Finland 0800-914-630; +358 972519061
France 0800-902366; +33 157323040; +33 157323041
Germany 0800-181-6323; +49 6951709081
Ireland 1800-558728; +353 16569209
Italy 800-788634; +39 0269430413
Netherlands 0800-022-8558; +31 202008077
Norway 800-18373; +47 24159528
Spain 900-95-1089; +34 912754171
Sweden 020-799414; +46 850163259
Switzerland 0800-564-331; +41 446545620
United Kingdom 0808-234-1969; +44 2070260533
code is 2119674 (otherwise spelled out at "a11yorg")

IRC: http://irc.oasis-open.org
channel: "&office-accessibility"

Vo/IP Using SIP or IAX: telecon@a11y.org

Suggested agenda:

1) Approve minutes for last ODF Accessibility SC Meeting - attached

2) Special guest Marc Mulcahy, whose ICON PDA may be in the future
natively support reading/writing ODF and wanted to meet with us about it.

3) Review of action items from last week:

* Hiro to provide more information on agenda item 5 related to table
headers (from
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200711/msg00007.html)

* Rich to find deadlines for ODF 1.2; also to verify whether TC would
like to see our 1.2 guidelines doc delivered at same time (in same
"bundle") as 1.2 spec.

* Hiro - Write proposed modification to 8.1.1 to add caption-id for
table, and 9.2.15.2 to include tables - <ref
name="common-draw-caption-id-attlist"/>

* Janina to check with Dave Pawson on status of ODF to DAISY work he was
involved in

* Pete Brunet: Provide guidelines as to how to supply tracking change
information to ATs.
--- Begin Message ---
Greetings,

Attached please find the minutes from our meeting earlier this week,
Thursday January 17th. Please note that due to the travel schedules of
your two co-chairs, our next meeting with be on Thursday February 14th.
We plan to make that a 90 minute meeting, and may have a special invited
guest join us to talk about ODF support in his accessible PDA.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Attendees
-----------
Rich
Janina
Cheiko
Peter
Hiro
Pete B.

Topics discussed
------------------

1. Assign scribe and role call
* Done [Peter]

2. Approve November 1 Minutes:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200711/msg00007.html
* Done

3. Vote to submit ODF Accessibility Guidelines 1.1 to the public ODF TC
web site.
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/download.php/25664/ODF_Accessibility_Guidelines_v1.0-candidate.odt
* Approved by acclamation

4. Discussion on Rich's proposal to ODF TC to include <svg:title> and
<svg:descriptions> to pages:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200711/msg00014.html
* Tentative approval given late last year by SC chairs has been approved
by SC.
* AI for SC for next set of guidelines: to modify the guidelines
document to note the proper use of this new attribute in ODF v1.2

5. Review Open Action Items
a. ODF Accessibility Guidelines for ODF 1.2
- See full list of ODF 1.2 guidelines action items below
- Should we provide any direction on animations?
b. ODF 1.2 Draft 6
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/download.php/25268/OpenDocument-v1.2-draft6.odt
- requirements to the TC
- Need an updated spec from the TC.
- From Hiro's review:
* Do we need a table caption reference? <table:table
text:caption-id="table1caption" table:name="Table1"
table:style-name="Table1">
- For autotable generation and table headers: What text do we need to
for table headers in the spec? Currently we can put a table header in.
(see "Topic 6" in
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200711/msg00007.html)
* Hiro to provide draft text for next guidelines doc. to tell developers
how to utilize and populate table header tags with database content [due
next meeting, Feb 14]

6. E-mails to folks saying that their OASIS membership was expiring
(Janina in particular)
* Rich had spoken with Robert Weir about this a month or so ago; Rich
will double-check
* Janina to double check whether things have actually expired

7. Marc Mulcahy would like to make his ICON PDA to natively read/write
ODF, would like to do that sometime this year, but Marc reportedly
thinks something is missing that is important for Braille
* Janina to invite Marc to the Feb 14th meeting & to get info from Marc
on those issues...

8. Janina to check in with Dave Pawson on status of ODF to DAISY work he
was working on...

General Action Items:
--------------------
* Hiro to provide more information on agenda item 5 related to table
headers (from
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200711/msg00007.html)
Not completed; Will have for next SC meeting, February 14
* Rich/Peter find deadlines for ODF 1.2
DONE - Answer was March '08; this may have changed...
Rich to PING again; also to verify whether TC would like to see our 1.2
guidelines doc delivered at same time (in same "bundle") as 1.2 spec.
* Hiro - Write proposed modification to 8.1.1 to add caption-id for
table, and 9.2.15.2 to include tables - <ref
name="common-draw-caption-id-attlist"/>

Action Items for ODF Guidelines v1.2
------------------------------------
* Modify next version of accessibility guidelines to ensure applications
respond to system font and color settings.
-> Peter will take this action, with no date committed yet.
* Add wording to the next revision of the accessibility guidelines to
allow control of the animation rate of images in a presentation
-> Rich will take this action (and see if he can pawn it off onto Dave
Pawson)
* Modify accessibility guidelines to state how common field attributes
(section 6.7 of the ODF 1.2 spec.) should be supplied to the AT. The
field attributes would indicate whether something were a boolean,
gregorian date, etc.
-> Hiro: what is the motivation for defining the data type? Why does
this need to be conveyed to the user?
-> Rich: this helps the AT know how to speak the object (e.g. knowing
that it is a date is helpful there)
-> Peter: Neither IAcc2 nor ATK/AT-SPI have a way to address this.
Peter's suggestion is to make the AccessibleRole a parseable string,
e.g.: "Label:Boolean" to indicate the data-type.
-> Janina to put this issue onto the OpenA11y agenda
* Janina actions: create new wording for reload delay (section 3.13.2)
which would allow user agents to control the reload delay and to state
the WCAG requirements for content refreshing to prevent seizures. We
need wording to provide control over flashing Here are some related links
-> http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-WCAG20-20070517/#general-thresholddef
->
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20-20060427/#seizure-does-not-violate
-> JANINA to draft this for 14Feb08 meeting.
* Pete Brunet: Provide guidelines as to how to supply tracking change
information to ATs.
-> PETE: meeting to discuss this in OpenA11y meeting next week (but
without Malte). Will draft proposal for 14Feb08 mtg.
* Hiro: Provide wording in the to address dynamic, asynchronous updates
There are several topics in the specs related to “asynchronous
automatic update†of contents or values. Automatic updates should be
carefully presented to assistive technologies through accessibility
APIs. Documents are becoming more dynamic- async updates - some
examples: linked tables, database ranges, scritping, text sections, DDE
connecdtions.
-> Hiro: will research this; no commitment to have done by 14Feb08
* Update guidelines to direct folks on how to use the new svg:title and
svg:desc for master pages in a presentation in ODF v1.2 (see
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200711/msg00014.html)
-> <unassigned>