Subject: Re: Fw: [office-accessibility] Fw: ODF Accessibility SC Minutes - April 10

On 21/04/2008, Chieko Asakawa <CHIE@jp.ibm.com> wrote:

>  As for the topic of Japanese Braille encoding, we don't know how the tags
>  (<time>, <range> etc) are used in BrailleML.
>  It is better to ask Murata-san why these tags are necessary to create
>  BrailleML.
>  If he needs these tags to add semantics, this issue can be solved by
>  metadata description.

I have started emailing Murata-san about his braille work.
I will ask him why he needs these tags.

My guess, it is to make it easier for braille translation.

Perhaps in Japanese braille a range of numbers such as 5 to 10
is expressed differently, so the translator needs to know if a number
is part of a range.

UK (and US) braille has special markup for acronyms, so this is another one
that is helpful. Sometimes the braille engine can 'guess' if a group
of characters
is an acronym, but XML markup is better (more accurate).

This level of markup is helpful (to the reader), rather than essential.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.