Subject: Re: Fw: [office-accessibility] Fw: ODF Accessibility SC Minutes - April 10

Something to keep in mind.  The ODF TC has so far avoided defining or adopting any specific metadata taxonomy, except for the Dublin Core bibliographic metadata which we've had since ODF 1.0.

Of course, we could include definitions for tagging all sorts of common things that appear in business documents: dates, people, addresses, zip codes, stock tickers, phone numbers, email addresses, etc.  But there currently does not seem to be a widely adopted taxonomy of this sort.   We're waiting for subject matter experts to define annotations.

So, if there is an emerging set of metadata annotations that would apply to the assistive technology/accessibility community, something that would satisfy the needs for transformation to BrailleML, DAISY, etc., then this may be worth a chapter in the 1.2 Accessibility Guidelines.

Also, since our meta data support in ODF 1.2 is intended to be compatible with the W3C's semantic web initiative, it would be good if we could specify the annotations primarily in terms of RDF, so they can be applied anywhere RDF is supported, including ODF, but  XHTML as well.

-Rob
___________________________

Rob Weir
Software Architect
IBM Software Group

email: robert_weir@us.ibm.com
phone: 1-978-399-7122
blog:
http://www.robweir.com/blog/

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>

04/21/2008 04:29 AM

"Chieko Asakawa" <CHIE@jp.ibm.com>
cc
office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org, "Tatsuya Ishihara" <TISIHARA@jp.ibm.com>
Subject
Re: Fw: [office-accessibility] Fw: ODF Accessibility SC Minutes - April 10

On 21/04/2008, Chieko Asakawa <CHIE@jp.ibm.com> wrote:

>  As for the topic of Japanese Braille encoding, we don't know how the tags
>  (<time>, <range> etc) are used in BrailleML.
>  It is better to ask Murata-san why these tags are necessary to create
>  BrailleML.
>  If he needs these tags to add semantics, this issue can be solved by
>  metadata description.

I have started emailing Murata-san about his braille work.
I will ask him why he needs these tags.

My guess, it is to make it easier for braille translation.

Perhaps in Japanese braille a range of numbers such as 5 to 10
is expressed differently, so the translator needs to know if a number
is part of a range.

UK (and US) braille has special markup for acronyms, so this is another one
that is helpful. Sometimes the braille engine can 'guess' if a group
of characters
is an acronym, but XML markup is better (more accurate).

This level of markup is helpful (to the reader), rather than essential.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.