Subject: Re: ODF A11y Action: Flash Language For Our Guidelines

Thank you Janina. The link to WCAG is perfect. The only change I think we need is the URLs to ensure we get the latest WCAG versions. I have made those changes below. This will prevent our having to change with each refresh.

Peter, when putting it in please make things like this a link: W3C's Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines, V. 2.0, Guideline 2.3
rather than typing out the URL.

This should also mean we need to be able to control refresh rates of animations - correct? In other words, should we explicitly state that the office agent provide an option to limit refresh rates of animations and videos to the allowable maximum provided by WCAG 2.0. Correct?

Other than this I am unaware of any page reload features in ODF 1.2.

2.6? Special Issue: Avoid Triggering Seizures

As ODF content becomes ever richer with graphical animations and other visual
effects, ODF applications must not create content of a kind known to trigger
seizures.

2.6.1 Who Is Susceptible?

Many persons susceptible to video display triggered seizures are unaware of
their condition. Additionally, children are also affected. The Epilepsy
Foundation documents that a cartoon broadcast in Japan in 1997 sent over 700
children to the hospital. They further estimate the rate of video
display induced seizures in the U.S. at 1 in 91,000 annually.

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/aboutus/pressroom/pr20050919.cfm

2.6.2 Recommendations to Avoid Triggering Seizures

ODF content and applications must meet W3C's Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines, V. 2.0, Guideline 2.3:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#seizure

This guideline requires that content: "not contain
  anything that flashes more than three times in any one second period," or
that flashes in a form defined at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#general-thresholddef

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer
Inactive hide details for Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>

          Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>

          04/24/2008 09:52 AM

Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

cc

office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org

Subject

ODF A11y Action: Flash Language For Our Guidelines

http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-WCAG20-20070517/#seizure

http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-WCAG20-20070517/#general-thresholddef

--

Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.202.595.7777; sip:janina@a11y.org