Subject: OASIS ODF accessibility meeting minutes - 2June08

Dear colleagues,

Below are minutes from our meeting earlier today.  Please note that our next meeting is set for two weeks for today - Monday June 16th at our new usual time(s).

Attendees
---------
Tatsuya
Hiro
Pete Brunet
Steve Noble
Peter Korn
Chieko
Rich

Agenda
--------
0. Approval of the minutes (see attached and URL above)
 * Approved by unanimous consent

1. Is the ODF v1.2 draft ready for our review? Note that Michael Brauer recently posted the v7 schemas, and Patrick Durusau just today posted ODF v1.2 v7-03-0531.
- See: v7-02 at: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/28121/OpenDocument-v1.2-v7-02.odt
- See Patrick's v7-03-0531 message: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200806/msg00000.html
- See Michael's v7 schemas message: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200805/msg00129.html &
- See Michael's message on schemas: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200805/msg00134.html
  * AI for Rich: to review this and provide his opinion as to whether we have all the info we need for review
  * From Pete Brunet: new link from Patrick on the spec...
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/download.php/28461/OpenDocument-v1.2draft7-3.odt

2. Action items (from before)
a. Janina to modify the accessibility guidelines to state how common field attributes (section 6.7 of the ODF 1.2 spec.) should be supplied to the AT. The field attributes would indicate whether something were a boolean, gregorian date, etc.
 * No Janina present to report...

b. Peter Korn to: provide provide guidelines as to how to provide tracking information to ATs; and modify guidelines to ensure applications respond to system font and color settings.
 * No progress to report

c. Rich Schwerdtfeger to: add wording to the next revision of the accessibility guidelines to allow control of the animation rate of images in a presentation
  * No progress to report

d. Hiro to provide wording in the to address dynamic, asynchronous updates There are several topics in the specs related to “asynchronous automatic update� of contents or values. Automatic updates should be carefully presented to assistive technologies through accessibility APIs. Documents are becoming more dynamic- async updates - some examples: linked tables, database ranges, scritping, text sections, DDE connections.
 * Tatsuya has forwarded e-mail with Hiro's action item: new draft for section 3.4 for our Accessibility Guidelines (see e-mail at: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-accessibility/200806/msg00002.html)
 * Request for others to review this section to make references to the Accessibility API interface(s) to use for dynamic updates in the Apple & UNIX accessibility APIs (they looked at IA2)
 * Peter: we should get AT vendors to review this & verify that this is how they would be able to use those APIs [JAWS, WindowEyes, Orca, VoiceOver, NVDA]
 * <Discussion... is this like ARIA Live Regions? do we need to somehow convey to AT whether this change is user-generated or not?  how do we do this [may differ for each API]>
 * <Discussion... under what circumstances should the author have the burden of marking such dynamic fields as "should be told to AT"? (vs. the user-agent/office suite handling this automatically, (e.g. that user shouldn't need to do something special - the user agent/office suite should know enough to handle this).  Peter: if the field is not on the screen, would the document automatically scroll to display it to a sighted user?  If that is never the case, then it seems to Peter that this will never come up>
 * New AI for Rich: to write to TC to ask about this issue: is ODF something that could be used as a more general application tool, in which live-updating regions should have their content scrolled to to be displayed?  [if so, then we need to deal with auto-updating info conveyance to AT in some additional ways]

f. Rich Schwerdtfeger to answer questions: How does ODF do language tagging of a range of text? Font attributes? And how best to tag a string as "Grade 2 English Braille", vs. "music Braille in German".
[From Tatsuya: look at ODF v1.1 spec. 15.4.23 Language; Use the fo:language, fo:language-asian and fo:language-complex properties to specify the language of the text. See §7.9.2 of [XSL] for details. Some applications ignore these properties if they are not specified together with the corresponding fo:country property.]
  * No progress to report

g. Rich Schwerdtfeger: Find deadlines for ODF 1.2; also to verify whether TC would like to see our 1.2 guidelines doc delivered at same time (in same "bundle") as 1.2 spec.
  * No progress to report

h. Rich Schwerdtfeger: address question/ research on Accessibility of Animations
- Animations that are defined and controlled by ODF (eg. Fly right, fly left)
- Embedded content that contains animations
  * No progress to report

i. Rich Schwerdtfeger: Research Tasks
- Plugins that support captions
- OS Matrix on Descriptive Video
  * No progress to report

j. Rich Schwerdtfeger: Modify Hiro's proposal to put into merge document. Notes from previous meeting:
Hiro - Write proposed modification to 8.1.1 to add caption-id for table, and 9.2.15.2 to include tables - <ref name="common-draw-caption-id-attlist"/> [note that Hiro is providing more information related to table headers (from http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200711/msg00007.html)
  * No progress to report

Rich notes that Mike Paciello has action items that we haven't captured here on this list.
  * New AI: Peter to PING Mike to see if he recalls what this/these AI(s) are

Query from Rich: what are the animations that must not be displayed when a user directs the user agent to not display animations?  slide animations? [note: OOo has an option to not show animations, and and Rich has an AI on text for our accessibility guidelines on what a user agent should do in these cases]

Next meeting in two weeks: Monday June 16; Chieko & Hiro in NY and unable to join