Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] (1)(d) A listof deliverables, with projected completion dates.

Hi Dave, Rob,

This is a good topic to discuss at our next subcommittee meeting - Rich, can we fit this into the agenda?

From my own experience, compliance testing for much of what we have in the guidelines document is very challenging, and rather subjective.  To take one example: in our guidelines we tell ODF applications to expose programmatic accessibility information via platform accessibility services.  Which services (we have non-exclusive recommendations for UNIX and Macintosh, and now suggestions for Windows; but that's not all)?  And without knowing exactly what user interface widgets are being employed in any given ODF application, how can we know what portions of the platform accessibility API should be implemented in what fashion (especially since most/all of those APIs don't themselves have compliance tests available for them).

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

711a73df0806130000k31cd7e2em5da3ecf7edc9b9e@mail.gmail.com" type="cite">
2008/6/12 Norbert Bollow <nb@bollow.ch>:

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

But we probably would not want to create a test suite based on the
recommendations of the ODF Accessibility Guidelines document unless we
first negotiated that with the members of the Accessibility Subcommittee.

Sounds reasonable to me.  Therefore, I's like to hereby propose to put
"Depending on the conclusions that will be reached in discussions with
the Accessibility Subcommittee, either (a) a test suite based on the
recommendations of the ODF Accessibility Guidelines document, or
(b) an explanation why no such test suite is needed" on the list of
deliverables.

Heads up.

Strictly speaking the accessibility guidelines are advisory except
where modifications
to the standard have taken place on their advice.

Therefore in any test suite there is no requirement to test for any
accessibility features
in an application conformance test suite.
Nor is there any need (since it is not a requirement) to test for
appropriate content in
a test document for document compliance.

I would appreciate a steer from the a11y subcommittee as to how this
might be addressed.

A simple solution would be that the output of this group require
applications compliance
and document compliance to test for all the a11y subcommittee recommendations.

regards