Subject: OASIS ODF SC meeting minutes from 30June08

Dear subcommittee,

[Apologies...  I thought I'd sent this out a while ago]

Attached please find the (somewhat late) minutes from our last meeting, Monday June 30th.  Note that our next meeting is set for Monday July 14th - continuing our tradition of meeting once every two weeks.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Attendees

Janina
Peter
Tatsuya
Malte
Steve Nobel
Pete Brunet
Hiro
Chieko

Agenda:

1. Approval of minutes from 16June08 meeting (attached, and also at: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-accessibility/200806/msg00027.html)
 -> Unanimous consent

2. Review of the non-ODF v1.2 status of the OASIS ODF Accessibility Guidelines.  Latest draft can be found attached, with change tracking showing what is new (see specifically Section 3.4 starting on page 26 and Appendix A on page 55).  I believe Rich was sheepherding this draft, collecting the text to then pass over to me.  Rich - though you sent your regrets being unable to attend the meeting, perhaps you have status you can share with us?  My understanding is that in addition to these new pieces, the following topics are still slated to be added:
  • Section 2.6 on Avoiding Triggering Seizures (written by Janina, but not yet integrated into the guidelines)

  • Janina to modify accessibility guidelines to state how common field attributes (section 6.7 of the ODF 1.2 spec.) should be supplied to the AT. The field attributes would indicate whether something were a boolean, Gregorian date, etc.
     -> Waiting on ODF v1.2 to be in a more final state before we get this text

  • Peter to add a new section with guidelines as to how to provide tracking information to ATs
     -> Peter: waiting for the APIs to be finalized
     -> Malte: Oliver Reiner Witman is circulating suggested API to use by ATs for this; Pete Brunet: between OOo team & IAcc2 team defined IAccRevisionText and OOo team & IAcc2 team is happy with it; Li Yuan volunteered to implement this in the bridge; Larry Weiss in AIA group is taking a look at it (Pete will present to AIA group this week to see if there is any input from them)
     -> Peter: wait a little longer to see how this gets finalized - perhaps fairly soon
     -> AI for Pete Brunet to inform group when API is finalized
     -> Janina: today is the last day for comments on IAccessibleRevisionText, draft API to be found at: "Item 11 at http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/IAccessible2/Agenda/20080624"

  • Peter to update the section on [theme support?]
     -> Peter to remind himself what this item was...

  • Rich to add wording to the next revision with text to allow control of the animation rate of images in a presentation [is this done as part of the 3.4 work?]
     -> Rich not present to reply
Are there others I have failed to capture (beyond anything new for ODF v1.2)?
 -> Janina: we should note that caret navigation must be supported in read-only documents

3. Mike update (I hope it's OK my putting you on the spot here w/out notice!)
 -> No Mike today (but see his e-mail: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-accessibility/200806/msg00036.html which proposes a campaign to promote ODF a11y awareness)
 -> Peter/Rich: this should be an agenda item for next meetin

4. New action items from last week:
  • ACTION: Pete Brunet to look at current drafts and identify chart accessibility issues for the specification and the guidelines and to write proposals if necessary
     -> Done: see e-mail at: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-accessibility/200806/msg00032.html

  • ACTION: Pete Brunet to follow up on thread to see if a native table was added to draw:frame in the schema.
     -> Done: see e-mail at: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-accessibility/200806/msg00033.html

  • ACTION: Steve Noble to look at formulas specification identify data that would update frequently, such as volatile formula information that would require the Office application to inform the AT of updates sections. Will complete by next meeting.
     -> Steve: ODF spec. 3.4 there is a brief description on recalculation of "volatile" functions/data-points are recalculated.  Sounds like in any kind of spreadsheet calculation that whenever data in a cell changes, other cells that use it are recalculated.  Not sure what the implications are for AT -> whether and when this should be communicated to AT and what AT would do with it.
     -> Peter: suggested that this is a potential concern for vision impairments (and perhaps no others); and I expect users don't want to be told about all of the downstream cell changes each time an upstream cell changes.  Perhaps a summary (e.g. "37 cells updated") or the user might register a "watch" on a cell or cells via their AT and then be told when that changes.
     -> Chieko: agrees with Peter - really don't want to announce to users all of the (potentially hundreds) of cell changes, but as Peter suggests, having a "watch" cell specified by the user to the AT
     -> Pete Brunet: feedback on the JAWS developers: only interested in where the focus is, so wouldn't want this announced to them
     -> Hiro: how would this work API-wise with AT?  How would an AT receive these events?
     -> Peter: normally in UNIX an AT can register with a single, specific object for certain types of events, but expressly not in the spreadsheet case because there are too many cells so we use the "MANAGES_DESCENDANTS" idiom; would have to have some way of emitting events on behalf of a descendant for this case...
     -> Peter AI: talk with Willie Walker & Orca team about this

5. Old action items from before;
  • ACTION: Peter Korn to provide provide guidelines as to how to provide tracking information to ATs; and modify guidelines to ensure applications respond to system font and color settings.
     -> discussed above

  • ACTION: Tatsui/Hiro work on improving text of this section to indicate to the office application as to how to notify the AT when changes occur. Also, since DDE exchanges happen at load time do we need to worry about updates. Finally, do we need to mark live areas as they are occuring in the background and not in response to user actions.
     -> Done: see e-mail at: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-accessibility/200806/msg00035.html
    Tatsuya has suggested new text for the guidelines (section 3.4.3 "Special considerations for dynamic ODF content").
     -> Peter: feels the API examples are too specific & unique in their specificity (only for IAcc2 and only for the scripting example in only 3.4.3).  Suggests instead that this text be modified to be more general (e.g. "When the script function updates ODF content, user agent should fire these kinds of events in these circumstances: When text is removed, fire the appropriate event(s) indicating text removal...").
     -> Tatsuya AI: to modify the document
     -> Peter: is there interest from IBM/IAcc2 team to write an appendix to the guidelines to describe how API info should be realized for ODF apps via IAcc2?
     -> AI Pete Brunet: to consult with Rich & reply to the SC on the question of writing an appendix to the Guidelines for how to realize them via IAcc2

  • ACTION: Pete provide Tatsui, Hiro with events from IAccessible2 and MSAA as examples.
     -> Done

  • ACTION: Pete follow up on thread to see if a native table was added to draw:frame in the schema.
     -> Done (and discussed earlier)