Subject: OASIS ODF Accessibility SC meeting minutes, 14July08

Greetings,

Attached are the meeting minutes from our last meeting, July 14th, 2008.  I thought (erroneously, again) that I'd already sent these...

Attendees:

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Peter Korn
Mike Paciello
Pete Brunet
Tatsuya
Malta Timmermann
Dave Pawson (joined partway into the meeting)

Agenda:

1. Minutes June 30 Meeting? A bit difficult to put an agenda together without knowing what was discussed at the last meeting. Can someone post these before Monday?
  -> Unanimous consent for minutes at: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-accessibility/200807/msg00012.html

2. Accessibility Awareness:
  • Review Mike's proposal (attached)
    Mike: tried to break things down into the written component (e.g. Open Source Business Review article Mike is writing right now); also a wiki for our SC (there is a space we might have in the wiki of our parent TC); a series of seminars focused on various aspects (including webcasts/podcasts); and finall conference sessions (e.g. at CSUN, others).
    One topic is "how to make an a11y ODF document as a writer", but there are other topics as well.
    <discussion about existing use/penetration of ODF & OOo>
    Mike: (listening to feedback from Peter, others): maybe this is too aggressive
    Rich: thinks we need guidance for document authors - that is the most important thing for users & for this publicity campaign.
    Peter: suggests we focus more on specific tactical moves (vs. a measurement by # of seminars).  Learn from the Firefox process...
    Rich: thinks we can certainly produce info on the UIs for OOo & Symphony on how to create a11y documents.  Thinks another target rollout is ODF v1.2.
    Malte: note the OOo online help, and http://openoffice.org/access

  • Address Mike's proposal to start a blog: Is this the appropriate place.
    Register for the site at http://opendocument.xml.org/user/register then choose
    the "Submit blog" link at http://opendocument.xml.org/blogs
    This thought not discussed today; Mike has the AI to review this and report back next week.

3. Review of the non-ODF v1.2 status of the OASIS ODF Accessibility Guidelines. Latest draft can be found attached, with change tracking showing what is new (see specifically Section 3.4 starting on page 26 and Appendix A on page 55). I believe Rich was sheepherding this draft, collecting the text to then pass over to me.
Rich: sent out another updated draft, including Tatsuya's changes, as well as Janina's work. (document attached with agenda: "odfguide-rich2").
Reviewed section 3.4.  Issue with table refresh delay (in seconds? milliseconds? waiting on TC)
Tatsuya: updated draft today from Hiro that generalizes discussion of APIs
Dave Pawson: suggests - if DDE is only happening at load time - we simply note that the refresh issue isn't a problem with DDE but otherwise keep the general concept present.
Peter: we don't have a "page-load complete" event in UNIX; Pete Brunet: this was added in iAcc2

Peter AI: talk to Willie, etc., on how Orca determines that a page is loaded; do we need a new event in UNIX?
Rich AI: to send note to TC seeking clarification on DDE updates to an ODF document (can they occur after the page/document is loaded)
Rich AI: update the draft document w/Tatsuya's new content.

<<We ran out of time before going further in the agenda>>

    • Section 3.4
      • Does the group like the format and content?
      • Triggering Seizures (written by Janina). Rich: This was integrated in section 3.4.1 but there is a question as to whether there is an issue. The refresh rates may be in seconds but the spec. is unclear. If it is in seconds, seizures caused by page refreshes are a non-issue. We need clarification in the ODF Specification.
    • Janina to modify accessibility guidelines to state how common field attributes (section 6.7 of the ODF 1.2 spec.) should be supplied to the AT. The field attributes would indicate whether something were a boolean, Gregorian date, etc.
    • Peter to add a new section with guidelines as to how to provide tracking information to ATs
    • Peter to modify guidelines to ensure applications respond to system font and color settings.
    • Rich to add wording to the next revision with text to allow control of the animation rate of images in a presentation [is this done as part of the 3.4 work?]
    • Pete confirmed that native table support is now in the schema! http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200806/msg00033.html
      • How should we modify section 3.1.7. Tables are now in ODF 1.2 for presentations. Do we address older versions of ODF? The bandaid for ODF 1.1 was to convert to an embedded accessible spreadsheet (OLE for Windows).

Are there others I have failed to capture (beyond anything new for ODF v1.2)?

3. Discussion of Pete's Chart Accessibility Analysis: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200806/msg00032.html

Did Michael Brauer address your question regarding ill-defined chart information? Is someone working on it in the TC?

5. Old action items from before;
    • ACTION: Steve Noble to look at formulas specification identify data that would update frequently, such as volatile formula information that would require the Office application to inform the AT of updates sections. Will complete by next meeting.
    • ACTION: Peter Korn to provide guidelines as to how to provide tracking information to ATs; and modify guidelines to ensure applications respond to system font and color settings.
    • ACTION: Rich Schwerdtfeger to provide base document for ODF 1.2 change specification (starting with caption-id reference) to Mike Paciello. Mike is to own change document for ODF 1.2. Rich is waiting on a decision as to where the ODF schema is to reside (separate or within the base document).