Subject: Fw: investigation of new items in ODF 1.2

All,

Our point is that we have not found any item to change the spec, but some
discussion points for our guidelines.

ttyl.
hiro

---------------------
Hironobu Takagi, PhD.
Accessibility Research
Tokyo Research Laboratory, IBM Research
+81-46-215-4557
E-mail: takagih@jp.ibm.com

----- Forwarded by Hironobu Takagi/Japan/IBM on 2008/11/10 23:57 -----

Tatsuya Ishihara/Japan/IBM

To:
Hironobu Takagi/Japan/IBM@IBMJP

cc:

Subject:
Concerns about new items in ODF 1.2

From:
Tatsuya Ishihara/Japan/IBM - Monday, November 10, 2008, 23:55

Takagi-san,

please forward this mail to ODF accessibility subocommittee mailing list.

New items in ODF 1.2 are listed in ODF main TC wiki (
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/List_of_Proposals).

Among these items, three items listed below seems relavant to
accessibility.
I would like to discuss if we should refer to these items in Accessibility
Guideline.

1. Database Frontend Proposal
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200703/msg00245.html

ODF 1.2 defines database front end format, so office editors will have
user interface to manipulate data in database.
We should recommend that this interface is accessible to people to
disabilities.

2. Preferred view mode upon opening document
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/proposal%3Aauto-play_presentation_file_format?highlight=(CategoryCategory\b)|(CategoryApprovedProposal\b)

ODF 1.2 defines preferred view mode.
Auto play slide show mode is defined in this item.
If this mode is set, screen show will start when opening the document
(just like PPS file in Microsoft Office).
We should recommend that viewers that support only auto play screen show
should also support accessibility functions.

3. <svg:desc> and <svg:title> for drawing pages (minor problem)
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200710/msg00065.html

Description for each page in presentation document is supported in ODF
1.2.
<svg:title> or <svg:desc> elements provides accessible name or description
for <draw:page> element.
<draw:page> element also have <presentation:notes> element that is used
for providing speaker notes.
Because speaker notes is sometimes used to provide graphical information
for blind people,
it might be better to clarify the difference between <presentation:notes>
and <svg:title>, <svg:desc> in Accessibility Guideline.

Best regards.
Tatsuya
---
Tatsuya Ishihara
IBM Tokyo Research Laboratory (Mail Code: LAB-S77)
E-mail : tisihara@jp.ibm.com
Tel: +81-46(215)4978     Fax: +81-46(274)4282