Subject: Minutes From January 11 Telecon

Minutes
Office Accessibility SubCommittee Teleconference
January 11, 2009
Submitted by Janina Sajka

Attending:
	Pete Brunet		PB
	Richard Schwerdtfeger	RS
	Janina Sajka		JS
	Malte Timmermann	MT

NEW ACTIONS SUMMARY:

ACTION: MT to discuss logical group labeling with Michael Brower and post to
the list.

1. Approval of minutes from 05Jan09 meeting
   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-accessibility/200901/msg00005.html

Approved, though one HT item for further review appears unminuted.

2. Radio Button Groups Malte, Pete, Rich This is the main point for
Monday's discussion

Rich's proposal to TC:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email=
/archives/200811/msg00017.html

Bottom line is ODF overloads form:name to address radio groups. form la=
bels
can label individual controls and not groups creating problems. The TC =
has
indicated in their specification that for form:name duplicates form:id
essentially creating two unique names and suggested that form:name can =
be
removed.

Malte is concerned that Rich's proposal impacts backward compatability.=
RS:	We need to convey structure, so need label for the group separate from
labeling each button. Are they assuming existing labels can label the group
itself?

MT: Is there a new proposal from TC?

RS: Haven't seen one. Concerned that using attrib doesn't specify that the
entire group is being labeled. We need something that explicitly labels the
group as a whole, not just infer this from existing button labels.

	Suggestion that XMLID could be a way to achieve this.

	If this breaks backward compatibility, that's unfortunate, but not the
only case were the new spec will break compatibility.

MT:	What kind of elements can this group?

RS:	Any control patterns in Xforms?

MT:	Regular text? Paragraphs?

RS:	Think so, but not sure. However, this was only an example. We can come
up with our own coding.

	Xforms specification at:
	http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xforms-20071029/#controls

MT:	Does appear it may not cover everything we need to cover.

RS:	Don't care exactly what mechanism we use. We need to cover the
groupings we have in ODF to be able to clearly and explicitly label the group
itself apart from its member elements.

PB:	Does the group need to be visible?

	I've seen a physical border around the group, and second case where
there's just a <HR> or some such above indicating the group.

[From IRC]
<peteb> There's an example of the problem Malte originally pointed out
<peteb>
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200811/msg00016.html

RS:	You have to group them.

PB:	Yes, need logical grouping.

MT:	Yes, only logical grouping.

RS:	Do you see any issues with using a group as opposed to just labeling a
button and then using attributes to imply the grouping?

MT:	Yes.

RS:	Do you see where we can run into problems if we don't label the group
explicitly?

MT:	Yes.

RS:	Can you run by Michael Brower?

MT:	Yes.

ACTION: MT to discuss logical group labeling with Michael Brower and post to
the list.

3. Review ODF 1.2 requirements document from Rich (attached). This is a=
early draft

No objections to formatting.

4. Provide input on charts backed by disjoint cells - Malte

How does (or how will) OpenOffice provide access to charts backed by
disjoint cell ranges either in a single or multiple tables? If this cas=
e be
done today, what are the examples?
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/email/archives/2008=
08/msg00054.html

http://mediacast.sun.com/share/korn/chart-accessibility-challenge.ogg.
http://mediacast.sun.com/share/korn/chart-in-writer.behavior.ogg.
MT:	Sent an email to someone more familiar with charting, but no response
yet.

RS:	What are the next steps?

MT:	I think the chart team returns from vacation today.

5.1 Creation of a note in the ODF accessibility guidelines to convey
existance of live regions to AT via platform a11y APIs

Need someone to draft.

JS:	Action assigned to RS in January 5 minutes:
	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-accessibility/200901/msg00005.html

4.2 Action Items

- Hiro contact Svante Schubert regarding merging his xml:id proposal fo=
local links into Svante's link proposal
- Rich Provide a section on PDF conversion related to supporting repeat=
ing
table headers in PDF
- Peter Korn and Pete Brunet to specify the text of how table row and
column information are mapped in ATK and IA2
Pete's response:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email=
/archives/200811/msg00020.html

--Questions about when Peter is back--

ACTIONS REVIEW:
RS: My actions on pdf, and multiple pages, are done.

MEETING ENDS
NEXT MEETING: Possibly January 19, but that depends on progress.

- Peter Korn to consider/Update our guidelines to cover Apple API.

ODF 1.2 Accessibility Requirements Draft:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email=
/archives/200812/msg00015.html

Latest ODF Specifications:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/documents.php.