Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] ODF 1.2 accessibility guidelines

Peter,

One of the things we avoided in 1.0 of the guidelines is adding API mappings to the scale of work involved. If we do this for tables we would have to do it for the rest of the document. That is a huge undertaking and we would need to do multiple API mappings.

So, we took the approach instead to approach this generically.

We are looking to do an implementers guide for user agents and ARIA but that is a huge job and we are looking to have participation from the major browser manufacturers. We are not staffed for this.

You agree?

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

Inactive hide details for Peter Korn ---01/14/2009 11:22:01 PM---Pete,Peter Korn ---01/14/2009 11:22:01 PM---Pete,

          Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM>
          Sent by: Peter.Korn@Sun.COM

          01/14/2009 11:21 PM

Pete Brunet/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

cc

office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org

Subject

Re: [office-accessibility] ODF 1.2 accessibility guidelines

Pete,

Ummm.... OK. Looking at the writeup I saw from you, it really wasn't clear to me how that would translate into prose in what section. That's why I was asking. It seems to me it would be a level of detail/documentation on accessibility APIs around tables that isn't in keeping with the level we have for other things (e.g. text attributes).

Perhaps it would be easiest if I first saw your actual proposed write up, in context, for IA2...

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect & Principal Engineer,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

      Peter, I currently have the document and was going to take a stab at that along with a few other things. If you have some text or just thoughts let me know. Rather than getting into the details of documenting the mapping from ODF to MSAA/IA2 and ATK I was going to put something more generic in section 2.3.1 "Characteristics of Engineered Accessibility Frameworks".

      Pete Brunet

      IBM Accessibility Architecture and Development
      11501 Burnet Road, MS 9022E004, Austin, TX 78758
      Voice: (512) 286-5485, Cell: (512) 689-4155
      Ionosphere: WS4G