Subject: OASIS ODF A11y SC meeting Minutes, 26 January

Minutes
Office Accessibility SubCommittee Teleconference
January 26, 2009
Submitted by Janina Sajka

Attending:
	Hironobu Takagi		HT
	Tatsuya Ishihara	TI
	Janina Sajka		JS
	Peter Korn		PK
	Malte Timmermann	MT

NEW ACTIONS SUMMARY:

ACTION: HT to review bookmark spec to see whether it confirms MT and PK's
contention that it can meet our accessibility requirement.

NOTE: All former action items are now closed.

NEXT MEETING:	February 9

   1. Approval of two sets of minutes:
          * January 5th meeting minutes
            http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200901/msg00005.html
          * January 11th meeting minutes
            http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200901/msg00006.html
Approved

   2. Radio button groups in ODF -> can we come to a final decision?
      Key items to note for this:
         1. Rich's proposal
            <http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200811/msg00017.html>
            (see
            http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/20081/msg00017.html)
             -> essentially the attribute form:name is being overloaded,
            and he suggests we introduce an element specifically for the
            grouping, borrowing from the XForms group element xforms:group
         2. Malte has expressed concerns about backward compatibility
         3. Peter created a document (see attached) with a group
            control.  Absent in Rich's example is the fact that there is
            a form:frame element that seems to do the same thing as
            <form:frame form:name="GroupBox"...
            form:for="control5,control6"/> element which has it's own
            label and handles the group.  Is this not sufficient?

PK: Does this address our need?

MT: Rich view is not for a list of ids, but a group name.

PK: Did not see the form frame element.

MT: Also discussed with Michael Brower, who's not sure about making changes at
this time.

PK: I don't see why it's necessary. It's the responsibility of the authoring
tool to generate all the necessary information, and there's sufficient
specificity to do that.

PK: So, we'll defer until all the principals can be part of the conversation:
Rich, Peter, Malte. We confirm that Peter and Malte are available on 9
February.

   3. Intra-document links -> do we have a conclusion from Hiro & Svante?

HT: Intradoc linking critical, especially for screen reader user. TOC to inner
document section is the most obvious example.

TI:	We decided to support the TC proposal, which is not yet integrated
into the spec.

TI: His proposal is sufficient for us. However, his proposal isn't yet
completed.
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/Change_Proposal_for_ODF_1.2_using_URL_fragment_identifiers_for_ODF_media_types

ACTION: PK and RS to work with TC to implement URL fragment.
SCRIBE'S NOTE: Following discussion indicates that we did not, in fact, reach agreement
for the above action.

MT: Actually, existing mechanisms are sufficient for this:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200901/msg00018.html

HT: Thought we discussed this in previous call--am I wrong?

MT: Text marker example is the best example in this document. It supports
jumping from anywhere to anywhere.

PK: We just call these bookmarks ...

PK: Typical algorithm would be looking at link target.

MT: Yes and no. It's hard to figure out the target for auto generated links.
But that's an implementation issue.

PK: So the fix we need is in apps, not in the spec.

MT: Yes

MT: The logic of it needs to be defined in the spec. We simply need to
document how the current hyperlinks work.

PK: Hiro, have you reviewed this?

HT: Have you modified this?

MT: Only for manipulated text3. The other you can do with OpenOffice. Once you
insert bookmark in OO, you can use it as a target.

JS: Seems we want automatic targets for TOC automatically.

PK: It does.

MT: But not auto gen'd bookmarks that depend on the pipe symbol ...

HT: One of my points is interoperability among applications that implement ODF.
So, we would need to define how this is handled in the spec.

PK; But it appears there is consistent markup.

HT: Not well defined in the spec. I believe xml fragment would be a more
consistent approach, but I will consider alternative approaches. So, in this
case something like:  "name of bookmark" for url fragment.

MT: It has many use cases. My only point is we have enough now for a11y. It's
up to the interoperability committee to decide next steps.

PK: Is there a bug registered for start and end of bookmarks?

MT: No

PK: Do you agree that's the issue?

MT: No

PK: Looking at the xml for <h1>test and <h1>test2, there is no target. Is
there no t the reason to have this target bookmark?

MT: From interop perspective, I agree.

PK: Which is why I think it's a bug against OpenOffice.

MT: Yes

HT: I also have a concern about consistency. I believe I checked bookmarks
before following only the spec definition--so maybe I should check it again.

PK: One possibility is consistent start/end bookark; another is Sante's
proposal; or some other. But all apps should use the same mechanism.

MT: Agree.

the issue is that OOo is failing to insert a <text:bookmark> element
surrounding the string "H1 Test"

<korn> Janina: here is a suggestion for the minutes as our conclusion: "the
issue is that OOo does NOT create targets (using
           the existing <text:bookmark-start><text:bookmark-end> element
mechanism) for Headers for generated TOCs.A  This is a
           BUG in OOo.A  However, Malte suggests that we don't seek to fix
this bug until the question of use of fragment
           identifiers (e.g. Svante's proposal) is settled."

ACTION: Hiro to review bookmark spec to see whether it confirms MT and PK's
contention that it can meet our accessibility requirement.

PK: Votes requested for people not on the call whether aware of

All old actions now closed.

feb 9 next meeting.

MEETING ENDS

   4. Actions remaining for the guidelines document
      -> Pete Brunet posted an updated edition at:
      http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200901/msg00013.html
       -> other than fixing the table of contents, and following the
      latest rules for the front page, anything else remain to be done?
   5. Prior action items:
          * Hiro contact Svante Schubert regarding merging his xml:id
            proposal for local links into Svante's link proposal
          * Rich Provide a section on PDF conversion related to
            supporting repeating table headers in PDF
          * Peter Korn and Pete Brunet to specify the text of how table
            row and  column information are mapped in ATK and IA2
            Pete's response:
            http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200811/msg00020.html

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect & Principal Engineer,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;
		sip:janina@CapitalAccessibility.Com