Subject: Re: [office-collab] Splitting a paragraph...

[Re-sent by Robin La F as Tristan's email not getting to list for some
reason]

Hi,

On 15 Jan 2011, at 02:34, monkeyiq wrote:

> Hi,
>  I'm working on adding ODT Change Tracking support to Abiword.
>
>  One of the aspects which I'm noticing many times is what happens with
> change tracking with "existing content" in the document. For testing I'm
> starting with a blank document and revision=1, so consequently all of my
> paragraphs bar one tend to be "split" types from the original with
> splitids forming a linked list.

The split construct should only be used if an existing paragraph is
split in such a way that some of its content remains in the original
paragraph and some of the content forms a new paragraph.
The 'normal' way of creating a new paragraph where from the editor
perspective you place the cursor at the end of a paragraph and press
'Return' to create a new, empty paragraph should not be treated as a
split. The new paragraph (and its eventual content) in this case should
be marked as added.

>  In 6.5.2 of DeltaXML-TC4/doc/odf-track-changes.odt are we talking
> about the split of the paragraph happening during the same revision as
> the paragraph was created? To be concrete, is the paragraph, its text
> contents, and the splitting into two paragraphs all meant to have
> occurred in ct1 in the below. If so, is there meant to be a difference
> if the paragraph is created and populated in ct1 and then split in two
> in ct2?

A paragraph can only be split if it already exists. Creating a paragraph
and then splitting it within the same change-transaction doesn't seem to
make sense.

>  As an example of this flowing on from revision=1, consider 6.5.2 of
> DeltaXML-TC4/doc/odf-track-changes.odt where an existing two sentence
> paragraph is split in two giving:
>
> <text:p split:split01='sp1'>
> This paragraph will be split into two.
> </text:p>
> <text:p delta:insertion-type='split'
>        delta:insertion-change-idref='ct1'
>        delta:split-id='sp1'>
> This will be in the second paragraph.
> </text:p>
>
> In my coding and testing, if one assumes the document to be created
> starting at rev=1 with a blank new document, at first we get:
>
> <text:p text:style-name="Normal"
>        delta:insertion-type="insert-with-content"
>        delta:insertion-change-idref="1" >
> This paragraph will be split into two. This will be in the second
> paragraph.</text:p>
>
> Then when we move to revision=2 and press return to split the paragraph
> between the two sentences as shown below. I've used
> inserted-text-start/end to indicate which revision the contents of the
> second paragraph was input in.
>
> Another possibility I considered is perhaps this was meant to be
> inferred... For example, if idref=22 for a "split" then the contents is
> idref=21 unless explicitly specified in some other markup? Obviously in
> this case idref 22 and 21 are real change tracking records which are
> temporally adjacent.
>
> <text:p text:style-name="Normal"
>        split:split01="split0"
>        delta:insertion-type="insert-with-content"
>        delta:insertion-change-idref="1" >
> This paragraph will be split into two.
> </text:p>
> <text:p text:style-name="Normal"
>        delta:split-id="split0"
>        delta:insertion-type="split"
>        delta:insertion-change-idref="2" >
> <delta:inserted-text-start delta:inserted-text-id="1" />
> This will be in the second paragraph.
> <delta:inserted-text-end delta:inserted-text-idref="1" />
> </text:p>

The text insertion markers in the second paragraph should not be used
here. You can tell when the text was created by looking at the revision
in which the original paragraph (that this was split from) was created,
in this case '1'. The insertion markers are therefore redundant.

Hope that makes sense, please ask further questions if not!

Regards,
Tristan