Subject: Re: [office-collab] Generic CT proposal - an implementer's look atit

Robin LaFontaine wrote:
> Although the set of semantically distinct editing operations is unbounded as
> you say, the generic proposal unambiguously represents the state of a document
> before and after an edit operation. Therefore it supports all types of editing
> operation.

Hi Robin,

yeah, I'm not disputing that. :)

> If you take the approach that you are suggesting, whereby the change tracking
> format supports specific known editing operations such as insert an object or
> delete an object, then it will be necessary to get agreement amongst all the
> applications as to what these editing operations are. They will certainly not
> be the same in all editors, and indeed as each editor is enhanced it may well
> add editing operations. There is a danger therefore that this approach will
> always be trying to hit a moving target.

True, that would be a drawback - but potentially we could come up
with a set of _basic_ ops, that apps could then use to compose more
complex changes of - quite similar to the generic ct's atomic
changes, but with a (much) lower impedance towards app's editing
semantics?

> With either approach, it will always be the case that a particular application
> needs to read in a change that it is not able to recognise or is not supported.

Hm. With the generic proposal, apps would never be provably able to
handle all cases (unless processing is very close, or on, the xml
info set). Whereas for a bounded set of ops, one would at least be
able to state "we don't support X, Y, Z yet" - and eventually get
there.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

PGP signature