Subject: RE: [office-collab] CT and Spreadsheet tables

R1C1 notation helps in the case where you have a block of cells where the
relative references are contained in that block, and then you insert rows
or columns to the left or above that block, causing everything to shift.

So you have a column of 10,000 cells giving quantity in column A, 10,000
parallel cells in B giving item cost, and 10,000 more in column C
multiplying the two.  You insert a new column before A, and all of the
formulas are rewritten in C, if you used traditional notation.  So what
was =A1*B1 now becomes =B1*C1.  But with R1C1 notation these relative
references would remain the same = RC[-2]*RC[-1].

However, changes within the block are going to be messy with either
notation.  But even then R1C1 usually reduces the number of changes.  And
I can't think of any case where it would make it worse.

In any case, my takeaway is that one aspect of the generic proposal is
that a single user operation that results in a large number of
markup-level changes can be verbose when encoding the change track. Search
& replace was the other example given.

On the other hand, the generic approach requires much less intelligence
from the application which wishes to process the changes.  With a generic
approach, you could have a simple application apply such changes
consistently, without having a lot of spreadsheet domain know-how.  This
is interesting when you consider the realm of applications beyond
traditional heavyweight desktop editors, say mobile editors, toolkits,
etc.

I don't think any of the two proposals are necessary incorrect.  It comes
down to a question: Where do you put the intelligence in the system?  Do
you assume intelligent writers who produce documents that have the change
tracking state recorded in detail and then are processable generically by
relatively simple readers?  Or do you allow document writers to encode the
intent of a change track at a high level and then assume a more powerful
reading application that has the intelligence to interpret and apply
high-level application notations of tracked changes?  However you do it,
some code -- either the reader or the writer -- needs to do the heavy
lifting.  You can't avoid that.

-Rob

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 04/08/2011
12:27:12 PM: