Subject: Re: [office-collab] Let's Keep the Cases Straight

On Sun, 2011-04-24 at 15:34 -0600, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I notice that there is a tendency to view whatever already happens using the ODF 1.x change tracking as part of ECT and that GCT escapes it.
>
> I think we need to look at the choices in front of us where
>
>     a.  ODF? is what there is in major circulation now, more-or-less related to what is in the ODF 1.0-ODF 1.2 specifications (the ? related to the uncertainty around bugs and limitations in implementations and the specification too.

The way  read ODF1.0 to 1.2, there are really 2 change tracking
mechanisms defined. One for text documents and one for spreadsheet
documents. Which one are you referring to?

>     b. GCT is the general proposal that uses the DeltaXML approach as a basis
>
>     c. ECT is the approach to extending change tracking using ODF? as a starting point.
>
> That means we have these to wonder about:
>
>  0. ODF? as it is or maybe tidied up a tiny bit (I number this 0 because I don't think we can get away with this)
>
> 1. GCT
>
> 2. ODF? + GCT (unless we believe we'll ever get away with abandoning ODF? without a way forward, even if it means a protracted deprecation period, sort of like OOXML part 4.)
>
> 3. ODF? + ECT (the only place where ECT applies)

Since ODF? really consists of 2 parts, one could argue that there are
many more possibilities.

Andreas

This is a digitally signed message part