Subject: Changing the start-tag of an element

I take it back.  Changing between a heading style and a paragraph style in either direction will definitely change the start tag of an element.  It is possible to convert a <text:a> to something else, but that might be a matter of just unwrapping the interior of the <text:a> or turning it into a <text:span>.  These is not specifically a consequence of a change of attribute, although it might involve an attribute change at the same time.

I don't know if OO.o an LOffice show these as style changes or not, but that is what it looks like to the user, who has no idea about the start tag.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-collab/201104/msg00103.html>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 13:15
To: 'John Haug'; office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [office-collab] How to define restrictions: was 'Convergence of proposals'

[ ... ]

Change tracking that changes the start tag of an element to be a different local name is pretty uncommon.  I don't think that can happen in ODF, although it is routine to change end tags and to add end tags somewhere beyond the ending point of a change (insertion or deletion).  So I don't think element-name changing will have to be dealt with as part of ACT on the attributes of an element.

There might be some changes where there is a relationship between attributes of the element and what the element content is and that might be messy with regard to maintaining validity of the document.  That has to be checked for.  I can't think of a case off hand but I think there may be some cases, especially where content is switched from in-line to out-of-line based on an attribute pattern, and the out-of-line method can be peculiar (use of DDE with a filter, for example).   This means there has to be synchronization of the attribute change and content changing in some cases, if such changes are permitted as ACT trackable.

[ ... ]