Subject: RE: [office-collab] Changing the start-tag of an element

I was just amused about one feature of switching between paragraph or heading.  When you switch to heading, you now have something that may show up in the TOC (but in some sense, it is an insertion in the context of the TOC, not a change) and also impact numberings in the body and the TOC.  Just another place to be adroit about how secondary effects because of dependencies are handled.   Not sure there is much to say about this at the format level, but it is an invitation for an implementation to be cool about it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 09:33
To: 'Tristan Mitchell'
Cc: 'office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org'

I agree that it should not be a bucket replacement.  It's not how the user sees it and is clearly unnatural.

I would think one would treat it as an exceptional kind of style change (and since style changes are attribute changes) and maybe bundle it with ACT:attribute-change since the progression there needs to be consistent with the changes in the start tag.   When working out ACT it might be useful to have an ACT:tag-change rather than attribute-change, and include both start-tag substitutions and attribute modifications of all kinds.

It is unfortunate that end-tags do not have attributes, because this would have allowed helpful markers where ODF? alters and inserts/deletes/moves end tags as part insertions and deletions and/or their rejection.  Perhaps helpers that track end-tag manipulations could be recorded in the start tags as well, though this may be over-loading and over-constraining the situation.  I'm just speculating about that prospect, because the actual invariant conditions for insertion and removal and acceptance/rejection of need to be nailed down first to know what value additional markers or attributes can provide.

I note, in passing, that there are different levels of abstraction for some of these.  For example, editing the text of a caption should be a text change and not have it matter that it is in the interior of a shape or table object.  Also, editing accessibility information may have to be different, depending on whether that is in an attribute value rather than element content, etc., whether it is a link to a content object that is what is actually edited, etc.  It may not be suitable to apply a single mechanism to all of these cases, even though we don't want to proliferate mechanisms unnecessarily.

 - Dennis