Subject: RE: [office-collab] Changing the start-tag of an element

Andreas reminds us that <draw:frame> is a peculiar element and that the <draw:text-box> might not be rendered by a consumer that only sees the <draw:object> rendering.  Now, that Caption is not the caption I was thinking of - it would be more meaningful if the caption paragraph were somehow applicable as part of the <draw:frame> element and applied independent of which of the <draw:frame> child elements was the one that a consumer chose to render.

Having change marking in the Caption text below is problematic for both the producer and the consumer.  So it is not clear how it got produced, let alone how a consumer deals with it.  However, if it is as done in the example from Andreas, an accept all changes would have the change accepted just as a consumer who implicitly accepts all changes would have it accepted.

That the user might not know that is happening is a problem in general and it is particularly tricky in the case of <draw:frame>.  Showing the entire <draw:text> as having changed wouldn't help that.  Showing the <draw:frame> as changed is meaningless, because what is being shown as changed?  It can't be the <draw:object> (unless it is changed too).

I'd say this problem has to be addressed for <draw:frame> and course-grained doesn't work because of the nature of the element.  The same is true for accessibility information as well.  We only provide that at the <draw:frame> level, but will that make sense when it is the <draw:text-box> that is rendered, rather than the <draw:object>?

  - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas J. Guelzow [mailto:andreas.guelzow@concordia.ab.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:00
To: office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org

On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 10:32 -0600, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I agree that it should not be a bucket replacement.  It's not how the
> user sees it and is clearly unnatural.

If the users sees it, that is:

If for example:
  <draw:frame svg:width="3cm" >
    <draw:object ... />
    <draw:text-box>
      <text:p>
        <draw:frame>
          <draw:image .../>
        </draw:frame>
        Caption
      </text:p>
    </draw:text-box>
  </draw:frame>
were to contain markup that "Caption" was changed then in some consumers (those that are using the "draw:object") those changes would not be visible.

It is not clear to me what accepting all changes in that implementation should do with  that change.

Note that I would also prefer if the change to the caption would be marked separate from a bucket change but I see lots of difficulties with that (which would apply equally to ECT and GCT except that with respect to the latter we have no idea which restrictions are proposed.)

Andreas