Subject: RE: [office-collab] 1. Backward compatibility: what arerequirements?

> To maintain strict backward compatibility (of the format, not the applications) would mean that the change tracking as represented in ODF 1.2 is valid change tracking in ODF-Next. Having reviewed all the comments that I can find on this issue (see below) I do not think anyone is arguing for this position

Nobody has argued for it but we haven’t really discussed it until now.  This is the key question.  Are we making an explicit decision to make a breaking file format change such that ODF 1.3/2.0/whatever documents are not readable by users of existing implementations without some sort of backport update (or forcing those users to upgrade)?

I think the answer can legitimately fall either way.  My main reason for bringing up backward compatibility was that it impacts users and we ought to be clear with ourselves what impact the next ODF will have on them.  This affects users primarily in their ability to share files with one another across older and newer versions of applications.  We might agree to say this is an implementation issue and implementers must decide how their app will address the transition from 1.2 to 1.3/2.0 for their own user base – e.g., do nothing and let users figure it out, handle reading/saving both formats so users can choose, releasing backports for older versions, etc.  We might also decide that the next ODF is more 1.3-ish than 2.0-ish and breaking changes should only occur in major version changes.  I’m not aware of any guiding principles from the main TC on what the next ODF is all about, so we may not yet know whether it’s more minor or major version oriented.

> there seems to be evidence (and probably consensus) that some of the patterns are not worth building on (see last comment in 5 and also 6 and 7 below)

> and "There is almost no interoperability among the various non-Microsoft implementations of ODF when it comes to tracked changes."

I wouldn’t conclude that particular flaws in the specification of the current change tracking invalidate the patterns it defines.  I believe most of the complaints below are in regard to the insufficient definition of how to handle certain types of deletions.  The ECT proposal recommended improving this, as did a couple people during a conference call discussion, as I recall.  Of course, we haven’t yet looked at how to make it more explicit since we don’t yet have a decision on whether it’s to be fixed or thrown out.

> 6. Andreas G email 2011-05-06
Andreas makes some good comments about spreadsheet CT.  I’d studied that part of the standard (§9.9 in ODF 1.2) and couldn’t figure out a few parts of it that were underspecified as I couldn’t get various applications to produce the markup.  Similar to the above notion about better specifying text deletion, that same principle could be applied to parts of spreadsheet CT to make it more clear, implementable and interoperable.  I think Andreas’ expertise (as well as other longtime ODF people who may understand that section better than I) could effect changes here that I suspect will be both relatively small and yield significant improvement.

John