Subject: The Essential Use Case

Here is a little reminder about what is essential for change-tracking:
<http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/steering-discuss/msg01128.html>.

However it works in the guts, it must be reliable to have implementations be such that a person making changes and those who must review the changes are presented with the same change-tracking (in that neither acceptance nor rejection of the change produces a result that is inconsistent with the original document and the change made to it).

The tricky part for us is that we are defining this at the format level.  We have to be careful to specify something that those skilled in the art will see how to achieve that objective in the user-facing software that they provide, although that is not the level of behavior we are specifying.  (I refer to this as the document-format anti-pattern.  It is the cross we bear.)

 - Dennis