Subject: GCT-Issue-1 (was GCT Issues Wiki page)

On 24/08/2011 16:13, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

> GCT-Issue-1:
>
> I fail to see how the suggestion described in
> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-collab/email/archives/201104/msg00024.html would solve this issue.
>
>  From a user perspective there is no obvious distinction between
> conforming ODF documents and extended-conforming ODF documents, nor are
> there any obvious markers inside the file other than that a consumer
> will suddenly encounter an element or attribute it does not expect.
It would make sense for there to be an indication in the document as to
its status, conforming or non-conforming, to help the reader. A consumer
of ODF could specify that it does not read extended-conforming
documents, that would be clear and reasonable.

I am not sure what you mean by 'user' here. A producer of ODF documents
could provide an output that is either conforming or
extended-conforming. For example, if we compare two documents we could
generate a result that ignored some changes and only listed those that
were 'conforming'. Similarly an application that could track
non-conforming changes could generate a conforming output. The reason
for allowing extended-conforming is to allow development of
interoperability within a constrained and defined framework.
> Typically extended-conforming documents can be sensibly read by ignoring
> the extension. One cannot sensibly read change tracking information by
> ignoring some of the change tracking info.
I would expect that an application that did not understand formatting
changes, for example, could read a change-tracked document and ignore
the format changes while at the same time understanding the text
changes. Some intelligence in the reader may be needed to do this, but
not too much.
> ..snip
>
> Andreas

Robin La Fontaine, Director, DeltaXML Ltd  "Change control for XML"
T: +44 1684 592 144  E: robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com
http://www.deltaxml.com
Registered in England 02528681 Reg. Office: Monsell House, WR8 0QN, UK