Subject: First ODF CT milestone

Dear SC,

I have just rejoined the SC as an indivisual and have a question on our
current status.

Have we already defined the feature set for our first milestone of ODF CT?
I can not remember to read a mail about an initial feature set of a
first milestone and a search in our mail archive only revealed the mails
below [1-5].

We should be aware that ODF has now the train model of submitting ODF
specifications.
The ODF TC will no longer wait a feature (e.g. ODF CT), but when the
scheduled time arrives, deliver the given specification at that time.

If we do not have a milestone, yet I strongly suggest to define a
detailed first milestone feature set embracing the CT functionality of
existing ODF applications and what is currently hardly missed by the ODF
users. That should not be too difficult, as we certainly can take
advantage of our existing material [1-5].

Although the GCT might cover everything in a first spec, we still have
to define what ODF implementations have to cover first to ensure
interoperability ASAP. As the developer work will in general not go away
by using the generic approach (only for the ODF applications using XML
at run-time, which is the very minority).

My suggestion for a milestone is to focus on the specification of CT for
Text and Spreadsheet documents. Within this range to focus on the main
features of table (e.g. column, rown, cell), section, paragraph, text
with styles (and other metadata).

Nevertheless we should keep in mind, that our chosen design should
already be applicable for future CT features. Unfortunately it is an
often observed mistake in software projects to focus solely on the first
task, neglecting all requirements of certain uppcoming tasks. Making
follow-up design changes very costly, loosing overall project time in large.

Best regards,
Svante

[1] Wiki with Requirements and Use Cases:
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/Advanced%20Document%20Collaboration

[2] Original ADC Requirements Summary email:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-collab/email/archives/201012/msg00019.html

[3] Documents including Use Cases zip:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-collab/documents.php

[4] Original submission with proposed solutions
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/201007/msg00011.html

[5] Use cases email from Rob Weir
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-collab/email/archives/201101/msg00000.html