Subject: Re: [office-collab] Compromise on change-tracking proposals

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 09:37 -0600, Robin LaFontaine wrote:
> Svante,
>
> I have read through your compromise solution, and I find it hard to
> understand this as a compromise, but it is certainly interesting as a
> new proposal. As you know, we are out of time to consider completely
> new approaches, unless we are directed to do so by the TC. This was
> mentioned briefly in the TC call today, and there is no direction from
> them to change our course at the moment.

While there may be TC members that do not _want_ to consider other
proposals or anything but an "either ECT or GCT", until the TC has
approved a change tracking proposal we really should not ignore other
suggestions. In fact, we know that even after a change tracking proposal
has been approved (as for example the change tracking currently
contained in ODF 1.2), the TC is of course free to consider changing
that (as we do in the moment).

> However, your comments on the other proposals from your perspective of
> needing to implement a collaboration method, are very relevant and
> useful. I have read through your proposal in detail, and also the
> references that you have previously provided. I have also had some
> discussions with you to better understand the methodology. I know you
> still have a lot of work to do to develop this. Please keep us
> informed, as you develop your approach, on how your work might
> influence our choice of approach for change tracking.

During the last months there have been many discussions on whether the
considered approaches (ECT or GCT) can encode required use cases.
Unfortunately, as far as I am concerned, we appear to be ignoring the
initial concern that at least the GCT approach appears to be to
unrestricted to be reasonably implementable. I do realize that is was
suggested that restriction can be added but I have yet to see any
proposal to that effect. (And in my mind any addition of such
restrictions would turn GCT essentially into ECT.)

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow, PhD, FTICA
Concordia University College of Alberta