Subject: Re: [office-collab] Compromise on change-tracking proposals

On 22/09/2011 20:53, Svante Schubert wrote:
Allow me a little magic trick. ...
So if we agree to standardize all labels of operations, our two proposals are close to equal. The difference is: I neglect the redundant verbose XML change, only keeping the CT labels in the document, move them out of the content into their own file "undo.xml" and specify the XML change of each label on TC level in a specification. Saving a lot of space in the document and allowing ODF applications with no XML model to deal with CT on a higher abstraction level.
That is quite big magic trick, as you call it! However I do agree this is worth looking it. I think there could be a way of removing all the markup to another file, which has advantages in some (not all!) situations.

I am not so sure you can simply ignore the details of the changes (though maybe I have not understood you properly here). But some worked examples will make that clear, it would be worth investigation. See also comments in 'Two items for voting...' thread. I hope you will be able to address this in the document you are working on that describes your approach.

Robin

Robin La Fontaine, Director, DeltaXML Ltd  "Change control for XML"
T: +44 1684 592 144  E: robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com
http://www.deltaxml.com
Registered in England 02528681 Reg. Office: Monsell House, WR8 0QN, UK