Subject: RE: [office-collab] Groups - Proposal for generic representation of tracked changes for ODF (generic-ct-proposalV5-updates.odt) uploaded

> I cannot think of a reason why a choice for one would dictate a choice for the other, though it might influence it.

It feels to me a bit inconsistent to have similar material stored in different ways and the availability of such an option would make it that much more likely an implementation will always have to run an XSLT.  At the least, having to handle multiple options increases the size of the test matrix.  I suspect the response is “if ODF always required one method”.  I think that’s a pretty fundamental question for the SC to consider if it adopted this approach, as it could have the effect of implying the use of particular technologies (and precluding others) to handle otherwise regular XML.

On that thought…

> As far as I am concerned this subcommittee deals with ODF. So I read the proposal within the context of ODF and if there are choices given for the writer I would assume that these choices are intended to be available inside ODF. Perhaps we need a translation of the GCT proposal to ODF.

I think I am viewing this from a similar perspective as Andreas noted (above).  Is raising the question of various choices an open design issue for discussion to settle on a single answer or is the idea to have a generalized XML change tracking scheme that could be picked up by ODF using a to-be-determined profile?  The latter seems it would be out of scope for the ODF TC – it sounds more like a standard adopting by reference an externally developed/adopted/standardized technology.  If it’s just an open design question, that makes more sense as we still have no small amount of work to do regardless of which directions we take.

John