Subject: RE: [office-collab] Comments on draft consensus report

Hi all –

Sorry for the delay in replying – I was out of the office at the end of last week.  Let’s see…  I replied earlier to questions in the new thread about “6. Discussion of Different Approaches”.  I replied last week on the “Some thoughts on Change Tracking” thread (re: GCT also requiring diffing); no subsequent mail on that yet.  I’ll go back and look again at “Arbitrary order rejection”.

> what worries me is that it was only in the implementation that ODF's current CT was shown to be deficient, and we have no implementation for ECT

Concern that there is no implementation yet is valid.  If that’s the point, let’s make that point rather than broad statements that when taken alone seem to imply a core part of ECT has been discredited.  As it is, this is already noted in 8.4.

> can change that to generated names if that is the real issue. However, I have never really understood the problem here

I believe that was the issue (that it uses generated names).  Frank and Andreas raised questions on this and I’ll have to defer to them to explain more since they’re developers.

> There is more detail needed in 7.2 to say how to apply GCT only partially to a schema

That was my key point about unconstrained scope.

> Application-specific types of edit

Since the proposal makes this recommendation and would need specific handling for ODF (further work), I think this ought to be called out.

> As soon as I am convinced, I will do that!

Well, if there are differences of opinion among SC members that haven’t been resolved to an agreed conclusion, I think that obliges us to keep the issues visible.

> 8.4 ECT Threats / 8.4 ECT Threats (& 9.6)

I think I see a difference in perspectives that may be making it harder for us to fully understand one another at times.  I believe you’re coming from an XML-centric perspective and I’m coming from a non-XML-centric one (document-centric?).  Rather than editing app vs. non-editing app, I think the distinction as it applies here is whether the app operates at the XML level or the document level.  An example of a non-editing app that doesn’t operate at the XML level might be an ODF viewer that translates the XML into a memory model conducive to presenting it to the user in some fashion.  I fail to see why it would be any harder for that app to handle ECT than an editor.

> to work that out when comparing two ODF documents is a lot harder

I don’t see where comparing two documents comes into play here.

> Further, most apps have an internal memory model that is not ODF XML, so the only time the question of validity even exists is when a document is written, long after all actions have been taken.

> I do not understand your last sentence, "Further.." so may have missed something there. We need to be able to say if a given ODF document is valid, wherever it came from.
This is the point I make above – most (many, certainly) apps do not execute solely at the XML level.  They read the XML and parse it into data structures in memory that are reflective of whatever task the app performs.  My point was that it essentially doesn’t matter from a validation perspective what an app does at runtime before actually writing out an ODF document.  I also understand your follow-up point that validity of a doc containing a set of tracked changes also means those changes can be rejected in a mechanical manner and yield a valid doc.  Which leads to…

> ECT would need to have detailed rules for each type of edit

Is this not the sort of behavior covered by how change markup is used in ODF today?

John