Subject: RE: [office-collab] Groups - ODF Change Tracking: Analysis and Proposals Version 1.0 uploaded

Thanks for the thoughtful and organized reply.

#1 – Sounds OK.  I did let that question drop off my brain.  I’ll try to look at it, but I’m out of the office for a couple weeks in a few days…

#2 – Thorsten mentioned “well the same applies to GCT. The very fact that it needs annotations is testament to this issue.” early on the “Some thoughts on Change Tracking” thread but unfortunately hasn’t yet followed up with more.  I’m not sure what particular case he had in mind.  Both approaches require indexing into and analyzing markup quite a bit to gather the info needed to determine exactly what changed and this equivalence is why I commented on the text calling out ECT comparison being necessary to determine what has changed while leaving unstated that a fair amount of legwork is needed in both to pin down what changed.

See the attached file.  I wanted to walk through an example to prove to myself whether I was correct in my assumption that the work for the two is terribly similar.  I used a very simple case of multiple format changes to a piece of text and worked out a high-level general algorithm for how to determine exactly what happened in a given user change action.  The comparison of the cached markup for ECT is but one part of a multi-step process of indexing and examining markup that is required for both approaches.  This case only involves user changes that result in changes to XML attributes; one involving structural (element) changes would be yet more complicated for both.  Of course, if I have anything wrong in the attached, please let me know.

So what am I getting at, right?  I’d like to see appropriate context for the “ECT requires comparison” note that doesn’t seem to imply “you have to do a bunch of work in ECT to know what changed but don’t need to do a bunch of work in GCT”.  Both require legwork and ECT does also have a comparison component.

#3 – Re: scope – by “implemented” I thought you meant that it hadn’t been implemented by Ganesh or Ben, since prototype implementations are mentioned elsewhere.  Perhaps “designed” is clearer?  It’s a fairly big open task to determine how to limit the scope of where GCT attributes and elements would be allowed within ODF schemas.

Re: caching – just mentioning that there are decisions yet to be made – i.e., everything isn’t as wrapped up and ready to ship.

Re: generated names – Yes, if that method is adopted.  Sorry, my oversight.

Re: edit ops – “Standard” ones are preferable to app-specific, but these are not yet defined.  As it stands, they’re optional and undefined, so by default they’re app-specific, right?  Similar to the scope topic – a mechanism/framework is proposed but needs further design work to complete, so we ought not imply everything is done.

#4 – I’m not looking to nitpick over XML/non-XML vs. edit-op-based/non-edit-op-based, though I do think the crux isn’t so much about editing operations as about being centric to higher-level document concepts (text, table, image, etc.) vs. lower-level XML representation.  The itch in my mind here is that someone skimming this report will read this as ECT doesn’t work well for apps that aren’t full editing apps, which isn’t true, and think that categories such as ODF viewers are simply unsupported.  How about: “Similarly, the ECT emphasis on document components may cause more difficulty for applications whose internal models are XML-centric.”

#5 – Dependent on #3

#6 – As in #4, how about: “Should be easy to implement for applications whose internal models are based on document components.”

#7 – As in #4, how about: “Focus on document components may make it harder for implementation in applications whose internal models are XML-centric”

John