Subject: WD04 comments [2 Andreas]

Andreas commented as follows:

    I find any change tracking specification that ignores spreadsheets or assumes that consumers/producers have an internal xml model to be not acceptable.

Please let me know what changes you would like.

In 4 Scope the report says,
"There is also a very clear request that spreadsheets should have change tracking,.."
and
"Note that areas such as spreadsheets and meta-data were not included in the detailed study because it is known that ECT does not cover these, therefore they were not useful in comparing the two approaches."

7.2 also includes spreadsheets:
"Verbose for some changes, e.g. row insertion in a spreadsheet"

Regarding internal XML model, section 6 includes:
"Many (probably most) applications do not use the ODF XML model internally and therefore there is concern that the approach of GCT, whereby the change representation is driven by the XML representation, will be difficult to implement in a “non-xml internal data model application”. The use case implementations have demonstrated that it can be done, though it is likely that some applications will find it more difficult than others. Similarly, the ECT emphasis on document components may cause more difficulty for applications whose internal models are XML-centric. ODF should take account of different application needs and not serve only one type of application/implementation."

and in 7.4
"May be difficult for some “non-xml internal data model applications” to implement "

Therefore I do not think we have assumed that "consumers/producers have an internal xml model", and look forward to your suggestions about that.

Are you able to provide details of any changes you would like within the next two weeks?

Robin

Robin La Fontaine, Director, DeltaXML Ltd  "Experts in information change"
T: +44 1684 592 144  E: robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com
http://www.deltaxml.com
Registered in England 02528681 Reg. Office: Monsell House, WR8 0QN, UK