Subject: Abstract unordered and ordered trees CRDT and voting proposal

Greetings!

Just in case anyone wants to amuse themselves with more complex approaches:

Abstract unordered and ordered trees CRDT
http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.1784

;-)

Sorry, I run across stuff like this in my overlapping markup persona.

I think Robin mis-states the case when he says:

It is difficult to develop a solution unless you know the goals and constraints, and the relative importance of each of them.

No, it is *impossible* to develop a solution unless you know the goals and constraints, and the relative importance of each of them.

My apologies for any role I may have played in the TC sending the subcommittee off on an errand with no possibility of success.

Well, unless there was only one proposal and even then, without goals and constraints, how would we know when the SC was finished?

It isn't a form of voting I think that is setup automatically in OASIS but it seems to me there is a polling of support for issues/solutions that I have seen work in this situation.

In rough form, everyone gets rankings 1...n to the number of issues. Everyone gets to allocate their rankings to issues.

Hmmm, say we have three issues (I know there are more than that), and three TC members,

Issue 1:

Issue 2:

Issue 3:

And the results of the voting is:

Issue 1: 1, 2, 1 = 4

Issue 2: 3, 1, 2 = 6

Issue 3: 2, 3, 3 = 8

Usually proceeded by some period of debate but  once the votes are in, there is your ranking.

Does force you to choose between issues that are the most important to you but that is going to happen anyway. Can't have every issue you want as #1. Not in a committee anyway.

How does that strike everyone as a polling possibility?

Would that allow us to publish just the issues with their rankings?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

PS: If this seems draconian, it is. We need better change tracking in the *next* version and that means we need to start moving very soon.

PPS: I did not originate this polling idea. I think I first heard it from Steve DeRose, one of the co-editors of the XML standard.

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net