Subject: Re: [office-collab] Tables vs. spreadsheets

<office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org> wrote on 05/18/2012 08:09:55 AM:

> From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net>

> To: office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org,
> Date: 05/18/2012 08:10 AM
> Subject: [office-collab] Tables vs. spreadsheets
> Sent by: <office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org>
>
> Greetings!
>
> I suppose because I don't want to have to do change tracking more than
> once or at least only have to extend what we develop, I am curious what
> is the perceived difference between tables and spreadsheets?
>
> I thought about it early this morning and reasoned that the cells in a
> table change one by one, whereas in a spreadsheet, I may have a formula,
> the changing of which changes values in many cells.
>
> OK, but then I thought, how is the spreadsheet example different from a
> global save and replace where I have lots of tables and cells in each
> table are changed in the save and replace?
>
> True, not a formula change but it is still a change that is performed by
> the application across a potentially large number of locations in a
> document.
>
> Or is the problem how do you capture changes to the formula? That is
> while I am changing "+" to "/" does that populate tracked changes in all
> the cells? Well, don't do dumb things while you have change tracking on.
> ;-) Or, make change tracking in calculated cell values the result of
> applying formulas.

This is a recurring question, not only with spreadsheet formulas, but with references, table of contents, indices, and a few other places.  The change to one element can trigger a change in another element.   Depending on your change tracking model, you could handle this a number of ways.  But I think that it is most natural to treat a contingent chain of changes that are reproducible from some root user action as being subsumed into a single change event.

http://tm.durusau.net
http://www.durusau.net