Subject: RE: [office-collab] Additional use case for change tracking

I’ve attached a document with these two cases.  Robin’s caveat applies here as well – hand-crafted markup and it’s been a year and a half since I first wrote this up, so please excuse any minor errors.  Please note I’ll be away for a week and a half starting tomorrow, Friday afternoon.

As I note in the doc, I see the second as the same as the first.  The discussion around whether the document is or isn’t saved, etc. seems to me to conflate file format definition with runtime behavior.  An implementation can choose how to make use of the file format constructs as it sees fit for its particular usage scenarios.  The attached doc points out a couple instances where implementations could approach the cases different and end up with different markup than that shown.

For example, each change could be captured as markup at the time the change is made, regardless of author or session state.  Or, a change by one author further changed by that same author could omit the interim state to simplify the markup, and this could further be dependent on whether the subsequent change is made in the same session as the prior change.  And what demarcates a session – saving the document, closing the document/app, something else?  An implementation might even choose to roll up all changes by one user during a session into a single text:changed-region (rather than one per user action), with each change (user action) listed underneath as individual atomic changes.

John

From: office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of John Haug
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 5:44 PM
To: office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org

I’ve been away since June 13 and am still catching up on a three-week pile.  I’m out for a week and a half again starting the end of this week.  I’ll try to look into this, but can’t make a definite promise just yet.

Haven’t we already looked at nested changes?  For example, the original ECT proposal doc had an example on multiple formatting changes and the supplement doc added cases under the Compound Changes section such as “add text, format it, delete it”.

John